Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz/MM Config....How to wire the MM pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Philthy, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I'm customizing a Jazz bass to have a J pickup in the neck position and a musicman humbucker in the bridge. How should the musicman pickup itself be wired? Series or parallel or does it not matter?

Thanks for the help.

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    There is a difference in sound between series and parallel. On my MM/J jazz, I wired a selector switch on the MM pup to allow me to switch between series, parallel and single-coil. The series setting has more bottom end, and the parallel setting seems have more clarity to me.

3. Philthy

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    Thanks!!! I do know the difference between the series and parallel wiring. I guess I should have been more clear. What I was meaning to say is there a right way I should wire the humbucker so it could work properly in conjunction with the Jazz neck pickup? For example, how does Lakland wire their musicman pickups in their basses that have the J/MM config?

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Guess I'm still not exactly sure what you are asking. My bass is totally passive with the pots wired V/V/T. I take the MM pup into a selector switch and then the output of that to one of the volume knobs. The knobs themselves are wired like a standard jazz bass. I'm using 250K pots.

Lakland uses a Bartolini preamp. So, I'm not sure if they blend the pups before going into the preamp or if they go into seperate preamp inputs.

5. Philthy

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    My bass is set up Volume-Blend-Treble-Bass (active preamp). I don't have a selector switch. So, the MM pickup has to be wired one way....series or parallel. What I'm trying to get at is, does it matter which way the MM pickup itself is wired (series or parallel)? If not, then great. I'll try both ways to see which sound I like best. I appologize if I'm not being that clear. It's kinda hard to full explain and express yourself in writing. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Doesn't matter which way it is wired. It is totally up to you which you like better.

7. Lakland fit a 3way selector for their bridge MM's in a J/MM combo.
    www.lakland.com

if the MM is in parallel mode, when you combine it with the J full-on it'll be very scooped- the mids will be cut a lot.

if the MM is in series, you'll get a fuller sound.

I'd still recommend fitting a mini ON/ON/ON toggle switch to select series/single/parallel for the MM-
    just a small hole to drill in the control plate.

that way you can still get a Jazz bass sound by combining the J with the bridge-most coil of the MM.

8. Now THAT is an interesting idea.

:D

I'd like to hear that. At first thought, this seems to be the way to get an ideal 2-in-1 bass: a MM and a Jazz. Both are best suited for roundwound strings, and this combination of pickups allow for correct positioning in the sweet spots.

It would be interesting to hear if the bridge-side single coil of the MM can get real close to the J bridge-solo tone. If so, the J+MM would be the perfect 2-in-1.

9. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    The Lakland tap coil switch selects bridge coil / both coils humbucker in parallel / neck coil. When in single coil they are independently humbucked to avoid hum. I ordered my 4-94 with Duncan alnico pickups and SD made a custom 3 coil pickup with alnico magnets to fit the Lakland configuration.

I also have a MM StingRay where I replaced the stock electronics with the MM Basslines pickup and preamp and added a series/parallel switch. The series setting is louder, with more lows and highs. I almost always have the switch in parallel, which is the classic MM setting.

hope this helps

keep groooovin'
    Fran

10. Does the bridge-side MM coil sound like a Jazz in bridge-solo mode?

11. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    IMO it sounds pretty close to the classic jazz bridge pickup and with the blend pot centered the tone is also a great jazz "inpersonator"

keep groooovin'
    Fran

12. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Yea, I have a 3-way switch on my Warmoth/Hoyt jazz bass. Funny thing is that I never use the switch in the single-coil mode. After hearing the big beefy sound of the humbucking modes, the single-coil mode just seems a bit anemic to me.

13. The intent of the question is to capture that jaco-esque tone of the bridge-solo on fretless.

To clarify, if the MM+J can match the classic J tone (both pickups full on, tone all the way up), and it can match the J bridge-solo tone, then this will be my next project bass to replace my MIM J fretless.

14. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I have not played a Lakland fretless (next in my wish list), but I can get the bridge pickup in single coil to sing a-la-Jaco so that I think that with a fretless is going to be easy to nail that tone.

I have ordered a few sets of strings, as soon as they arrive I'll change them and record a few sound clips of the different possibilities that the 4-94 offers.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

15. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, i played a Warwick Jazzman. Its MM humbucker had an Series\Paralell\Split switch.

In Series, it had a deep, muscular growl. Kickass for slap lines.

In paralell, it was much brigther and crisper. Maybe a bit too brigth, but it had MEC's in it (they are very brigth pickups IMO).

split, it was a bit thin and lifeless, but it gave a sweet tone when mixed with teh J pickup.

I highly reccomend taht pickup config, it gave me many veru useable tones, and most of them were better than the MIA Jazz bass i tried too.

;)