Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz+MM pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Balor, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    I guess this thread can be considered a direct question to most Lakland fans...What style do you normaly associate with the neck jazz and bridge MM pick ups? An other way to put it, is the jazz pick up any use on it's own? What those it bring to the overall soundscape?
    thanks guy
    PL

2. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    I just got a mtd heir a couple of days ago (review and photos coming soon!) and it has the jazz/mm config.
    On this bass, the mm pickup is very very bright and has a good bite to it. The jazz pickup definitely rounds out the tone and makes the tone deeper. Of course, dialing in various amounts of the jazz pickup gives a great variety.
    i got this bass because i felt that the j/mm config had way more to offer in terms of tone control and flexibility than the kingston which only has the mm pickup.

unfortunately, the jazz does add some hum... are the lakland jazz pickups non-hum-cancelling as well?

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The Bartolinis, at least, will be humcancelling. I don't think Bartolini makes a non-humcancelling bass pickup. At least not one they sell much. :)

[edit] sorry, they do make a single-coil J, the 9SU.

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    No hum on my 55-94 Barts. I run the jazz/MM pretty much on 50/50. The tone is rich and deep.
    Doc