Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz + MM Replacements for 5 string

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fitobass, May 6, 2004.

1. Fitobass

Fitobass

May 6, 2004
    Rincon, PR
    MTD Kingston - Bassist
    I own a 5 string bass with a Jazz + MM passive pickup configuration. Sounds great but the jazz pickup provide some hum (since it's a single coil).
    I would like recomendations on an alternative for this pickups setting - passive or active as well.
    The current control plate have 3 knobs, any wiring option would be appreciated too.

Regards. :bassist:

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    If you want to solve the hum problem of the current jazz P/U you could try a stacked Bart Jazz P/U. They are much quiter and still retain a nice J bass sound. I'd also recommend changing out the current MM P/U with one of the Bart MM P/U's. Several to chose from there (2 & 3 coil). It really depends on what sound options you're going for. IMO you'd be much happier adding a Bart 3-band pre to the bass. Really opens up the tonal options.
    I also installed a nice sounding Bassline Jazz/MM system in a bass a few years ago. I used one of the Bassline pre's and it had a great sound. Not as warm as the Bart system though.

3. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    What is your bass?

İ have the same problem my bass is cort GB35

4. Fitobass

Fitobass

May 6, 2004
    Rincon, PR
    MTD Kingston - Bassist
    Does anyone have used Basslineswith this configuration. :bassist: