1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz + MM Replacements for 5 string

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fitobass, May 6, 2004.

1. Fitobass

Fitobass

May 6, 2004
    Rincon, PR
    MTD Kingston - Bassist
    I own a 5 string bass with a Jazz + MM passive pickup configuration. Sounds great but the jazz pickup provide some hum (since it's a single coil).
    I would like recomendations on an alternative for this pickups setting - passive or active as well.
    The current control plate have 3 knobs, any wiring option would be appreciated too.

Regards. :bassist:

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    If you want to solve the hum problem of the current jazz P/U you could try a stacked Bart Jazz P/U. They are much quiter and still retain a nice J bass sound. I'd also recommend changing out the current MM P/U with one of the Bart MM P/U's. Several to chose from there (2 & 3 coil). It really depends on what sound options you're going for. IMO you'd be much happier adding a Bart 3-band pre to the bass. Really opens up the tonal options.
    I also installed a nice sounding Bassline Jazz/MM system in a bass a few years ago. I used one of the Bassline pre's and it had a great sound. Not as warm as the Bart system though.

3. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    What is your bass?

İ have the same problem my bass is cort GB35

4. Fitobass

Fitobass

May 6, 2004
    Rincon, PR
    MTD Kingston - Bassist
    Does anyone have used Basslineswith this configuration. :bassist: