1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz mod?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by WordToHerb, Mar 7, 2008.

1. WordToHerb

WordToHerb

Mar 12, 2007
    New Jersey
    Alright i have a Fender 60th anniversary jazz bass. Its got 2 humbucking pickups in it now and its all passive with a button in one of the volume knobs that allows for series/parallel switching. The bass is pretty noisy and i had a good look at it to make sure it was ground properly and he told me there wasnt much he could do because thats just the way fender makes their instruments unless i wanted to get a better shielded pickup like barts or something along those lines. I was thinking of getting new pickups anyway and was thinking Seymour Duncan Hot for Jazz SJB-2 pickups. I want single coils pretty much for warmth because thats all this bass is really could use a little improvement on and i really use this instrument for vintage style tones because i can use my tobias for any modern tones. That is another reason why i want to keep this bass passive. Is there anything else i can do to make the bass less noisy? If i have this guy put new pickups in i should probably tell him to shield the inside of the bass better right? Is there anything i can do wiring wise? I like the knobs and the setup (vol/vol/tone w/ series/parallel) is the rest of the preamp (not really a preamp but i guess thats what i call the electronics in my bass) just wiring or is there an actual circuit or something in there that could be improved? Also what do you guys think of the SJB-2 pickups?

2. Get the bass properly shielded. And it'll be nearly silent :)

3. your tech sucks, all basses can be improved and a Fender is no exception
    Read the sticky about shielding you can do that yourself and learn a lot instead of relying on your "guy"

single coil pickups are not known for warmth, there are exception but most have a biting precise sound. And to me that's the vintage Jazz sound.

If you have noise now, a hot pickup will sound even worse. IMO the pickups that come in the anniversary jazz are pretty decent.

stop calling 3 pots wired together a preamp, that sounds ignorant, like people who have little inline 4 cylinder engines and call them V-4.....