1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz + Model One, What to expect?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Vic Winters, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    I won a Dimarzio Model One on eBay for cheap and I'm toying with the idea of throwing it in the neck position of one of my SX jazz basses. Perhaps even add a series/parallel/single coil switch for extra flavor. I'd like to hear from those who have used this combination before, soundclips would be a plus as well.

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I have no answer for ya, but I'm subscribed, I've often thought of doing this to my Jazz.

And I would most definatly do the three way coil tapping switch!

3. Rezlax31

Rezlax31

Feb 14, 2008
    I have a bass like this. Its very deep sounding with a little added treble from the bridge pickup. Basically its like less grindy jazz with more oomph and thickness. I think its great because I can play some really heavy, dirty stuff with the neck(great for overdriven stuff) and always just switch back to the bridge for some Jaco-esque fingerstyle. Check out some Grand Funk if you want to see one in action.

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Pipe Organ

5. Vic Winters

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    I thought he used a Gibson mudbucker?

Speaking of which, I saw a small write up from a guy who installed a Gibson mudbucker and jazz into a random bass and then added switchable .0047uF cap to the bridge like on a Ric. It sounds pretty cool.

http://www.lindersson.se/BASS/jazz_mudbucker.htm

6. Hey,
    I'm in the process of adding a Model One to a SX P clone. I had the body routed out in between the existing pup and the neck (about a 1/2" south of the neck pocket to accommodate the DP120. It's taking longer than I expected (these things usually do) because the metal faceplate of the DP120 sits on top of the pickguard, getting the pole pieces too close to the strings. I have a plan to increase the strings to pup distance, but I'd rather not share it till I know that it works.
    Can't wait...

7. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
  8. Most likely you will find the Dimarzo Model one will be louder than your other pickups. Installing a blend control on you two J-bass pickups might help. The model One is a hummbucker and the two J-bass pickups together are a hummbucker. I'd think with one volume and a blend you wouldn't end up with the hollow out of phase sound that can happen when you put this combo of pickups together.

I did a gig around Christmas with another band and the bass player had a 64 J-bass with a FENDER Hummbucker. It had some interesting out of phase things happening in it. The Hummbucker was twice as loud as the J-pickups in his 64.

9. Vic Winters

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    I'm thinking of replacing the neck J with the Model One so it will be just the model one and the bridge J. I think I might go for the Ric cap switch like in the link I posted. It seems to resolve the phase issue.

10. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    I've long been considering this too. I wouldn't replace the neck pickup though, but add it just below the neck a la Jeff Ament. I have so many questions though. I'll be watching if this thread goes anywhere.