Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz musicians, can you help a guy out?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    No idea what section to put this post in....

Iffin let's say I was invited to go jam with a jazz drummer friend (which I was) and another guy or 2, what would be 10 jazz standards that it would be safe to say they would absolutely know?

Also, without getting too technical and scaring a jazz newbie who can barely read music and knows even less about theory away - what would be some good pointers, websites, whatever - to get me started if I one day wanted to jump on stage in this new jazz club that opened up in my hood. I'd like to give a shot at doing the open jam thing without making a complete ass of myself.

Help - songs most importantly please as I can get going learning some tonight. Thanks.

2. pnchad

pnchad Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Are we talking dixieland, swing, straight ahead, bebop, avante gard, fusion or God forbid smooth?

Anything by Monk, Diz, Miles, Wayne Shorter or Bird are usually good. Also, Ellington etc. if they are older guys.

Improvising on chord changes is the most important tool next to time. Get a Real Book.

good luck :D

3. chamleon by herbie hancock is a pretty famous one...
    that song is like the sweet home alabama of jazz

4. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Thanks so much. If you could throw more songs at me that would be great. Just want to start listening to as much as I can, picking up whatever I can. I'm going to also dive into the books I've collected over the years.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    If you're wanting a CD list here's a few.....

Miles Davis-Kind of Blue
    John Coltrane-A Love Surpreme
    Herbie Hancock-Head Hunters
    Wayne Shorter-High Life
    Ray Brown All Stars-Don't Forget the Blues

The recently released Thelonious Monk & John Coltrane CD is killer. I have no clue what the title is.

that list is just a random sample [ok-the first 3, everyone should own], but it gives you some great things to listen to.

Congrats on wanting to make the jump into the jazz realm. It's a whole different world.

edit-if you don't have the book "building walking basslines" by Ed Friedland-buy it.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

All Blues
    Wave
    Blue Bossa
    Blue Monk
    Night Train
    Georgia On My Mind
    Four
    Black Orpheus (goes by several other titles as well)
    Freddie Freeloader
    My Favorite Things

Those are just a random selection of things that get called sooner than later in my world. It's not really safe to say everybody would know all of 'em, but most of the jazz players I know would know most of them.

It's all about finding some tunes that you feel, I think. Best of luck! :cool:

7. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    I've got Real Book 5th Edition as a PDF if you want it.

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

A key tune that hasn't been mentioned yet is "All The Things You Are". That's one of the sweetest jazz standards to me. I remember that I played a version of this with a quartet (arranged by ourselves) in which the tune started with the whole melody presented by the fretless bass alone. It was very cool. I have a great version of this played by Jim Hall on guitar and Ron Carter on double bass. No drums in this live recording, which I like a lot. I can send you the mp3 to your e-mail if you like, Joe. Just let me know.

9. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    If you go to this site:

http://www.realbook.us

You will see the top 40 Jazz tunes that people the world over are looking for charts for. Number 1 on that list is "Autumn Leaves".

10. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    All the Things you Are
    Stella By Starlight
    Softly as in a Morning Sunrise
    Blue Monk, or Straight No Chaser, or Billie's Bounce (or any jazz blues--if you don't know the melody, you should know the changes. Preferably in all 12 keys, but at least in F and Bb)
    Oleo (Rhythm changes--know this at least in Bb, preferably all 12 keys)
    Girl from Ipanema
    Body and Soul
    Wave or Triste
    Work Song
    So What or Impressions (same modal changes, different melodies and tempos)
    All Blues
    Mr. PC (or any minor blues, preferably in all 12 keys)

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Make sure you can play the changes to "I've Got Rythm" uptempo and you'll probably have half the tunes covered. :D
    Oh yeah and don't forget "Cherokee"... in 12 keys.

12. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I love talkbass. :)

If anyone wants to send me anything you can send it to nervemail@aol.com . I appreciate all the input.

13. Dont forget 'take 5' by The Dave brubeck Quartet. Just use a gat solo in place of the trumpet solo. You can jam for hours on that.

14. uhhhhhhhhh .... you mean Paul Desmond's alto sax solo right? :)

Anyway......... Jazz Times magazine recently printed a list of "Suggested jam session tunes for the novice jazz musician"

Standards
    There Will Never Be Another You
    What Is This Thing Called Love
    Stella By Starlight
    Just Friends
    I Remember April
    Autumn Leaves
    All The Things You Are
    There Is No Greater Love

Be-Bop
    Oleo
    Donna Lee
    Confirmation
    Anthropology
    Bebop

Ballads
    My One And Only Love
    Body and Soul
    In a Sentimental Mood
    I Can't Get Started
    Misty

Latin
    On Green Dolphin Street
    Corcovado
    Recorda Me
    Blue Bossa
    Wave
    Triste

Blues and Groove
    Birdlike
    Billie's Bounce / Now's The Time
    Blues for Alice
    Straight, No Chaser
    Jody Grind
    Watermelon Man
    Sugar

Advanced
    Fe Fi Fo Fum
    Giant Steps
    Naima
    Lazy Bird
    Inner Urge
    Moments Notice.

From my experience this sounds like a pretty reasonable list, and, you can get the charts with play-alongs for most of the tunes from Aebersold.

peace......... Jim

edit; D'oh and of couse "I Got Rhythm" (preferably in all 12 keys :meh: )