jazz MUSICIANS in film

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Channel 13's CINEMA SHOWCASE was broadcasting SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS (Burt Lancaster, Tony Curtis) Sat night/ Sun morning, I tuned in when Martin Milner (from ADAM 12, remember?) was kissing some chick in an alley. Ho hum, but then all of a sudden Chico Hamilton comes out a back door. Come to find out that Milner is playing a character, Steve Dallas, who is the guitarist (they gave him what looks like a D'Angelico to hold) with a band that includes Fred Katz, Paul Horn (on clarinet), Carson Smith and Chico. I guess he (Milner) is supposed to be Jim Hall? There's about 3 scenes where they are actually playing some music (and Chico has lines!).
    The last club scene, they are either switching bands or cats are falling by to sit in; you see "Dallas" leaving and he walks past a bassist coming in with his bass. When I looked up the movie info today, it's apparently bassist Buddy Clark.

The other stupid movie that has a lot of nice players in it is ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT...
  2. I don't know about that but at ISB they debuted (sp) a great documentary about Milt Hinton. Everyone was in it.
  3. "'Round Midnight" (1986) has some interesting musicians and features lots of great music. Sad story - depressing, but forget about that and just listen to the music…

Wasn't the Milt Hinton documentary recently on PBS? - I tried getting a copy (not having TV) and found that it hasn't been released on DVD (yet)!

"Bird" (Clint Eastwood's biography of Charlie Parker)

"Straight No Chaser" (Clint Eastwood executive producer) - interesting documentary about Monk - not a feature film, but more a collection of bits & pieces of film taken of Monk in the studio, on and off stage, going about his life.

"Art Pepper: Notes from a Jazz Survivor" - Don McGlynn's fascinating documentary about one of jazz's greatest alto players (again, quite depressing…)

So, Ed - how come you're finding enough time to watch TV these days? Things dry down in Neew Yoick? :)

- Wil
  4. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    the nutty proffessor [original /w jerry lewis]

benny golson is apparently in the steven spielberg/tom hanks airport movie
  5. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    blazing saddles count basie out of nowhere in the desert
    incredible scene
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    "The Terminal," along with Buster Williams on bass.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"The Talented Mr. Ripley" - this "period" film , has some scenes and music at a Mediterranean Jazz club and you get a good long look at some of the best, current UK Jazz pros!! :)

So there's Peter King on Alto Sax , Guy Barker on Trumpet and the DB player is Geoff Gascoyne - there are several others , but that's what I can remember without seeing the film again!!
  8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Really!? I'd have tried to stay awake through that one if I'd known they were in it (I bailed pretty early).
  9. nypiano

Feb 10, 2003
    Neil Minor pops up in the middle of scene for a good minute holding his bass in the background for a speech.
    It's called People I Know. Al Pacino plays a famous fundraising guy who's looking to put together some smarmy business guy, (played by Richard Schiff) a politician friend of his (played by Ryan O'Neil) and another political activist (Al sharpton type played by Bill Nunn)
  10. Kansas City
    by Robert Altman

Highlighted by a Mcbride/Carter duet at the end..

My hybrid Rodier is on the soundtrack...#6 & #8 played by Tyrone Clarke.

11. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Miles Davis played a pimp and drug dealer in an episode of Miami Vice.
  12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Miles and the band (Bob Mintzer, Marcus etc.) were also on Michael Mann's other show, set in Chicago in the late 50s, early 60s Feds vs Mob Guys. The guy that played the assistant DA was alledgedly a jazz musician and ended up "playing" with the band in a club. It was pretty hilarious, cause the band was doing all the 80's electric Miles stuff while, historically, Miles was up the street somewhere with Ron and Tony and the gang...
  13. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Harry Connick, Jr. has a fairly extensive acting resume.
  14. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    There's a hilarious film by Woody Allen called "Sweet and Low Down" starring Sean Penn as a top jazz guitarist in the 30's, second only, according to him, to Django. Whenever Django appears, Penn's character goes completely paranoid, either hides or faints. A great soundtrack with guitarwork by Howard Alden and is a must have for lovers of jazz and inside-music comedy. Look at the description and reviews on Amazon.
  15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Howard apparently got the gig to teach Sean Penn how to look like he was playing, Penn was working on another film at the time.

Which was on location in Tuscany, so Howard got to go hang out at an Italian country side villa for about 6 weeks, teaching Penn when he was on breaks from the shooting schedule. Nice work, if you can get it...
  16. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Peter Cincotti shows up for a second (literally) in Spider-Man 2.
  17. This movie has a host of great musical acts. Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Cab Calloway and that great Blues Brothers Band as well as some others I don't know. I always enjoyed Dan Akroyd's other movies as well because he always tried to incorporate some musical theme into them and give the musicians some work.
  18. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    Dingo--an Aussie flick. Greycat Home Video. 1992
    with Miles & Colin Friels.

Miles is himself in the movie.
  19. Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Anyone ever hear of this movie starring Elvin Jones called "Zachariah?" This is probably the most bizarre of the bunch. Elvin is a cowboy drummer vigilante type... I think he shoots someone but I can't remember. I never watched the whole movie but there is a scene in the middle where Elvin walks into the saloon (where a rock band is playing) and takes a killin' drum solo. It's really weird. My brother found it on ebay....

But any film of Elvin at the drums is okay in my book!
  20. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I've heard of that one! I'd love to see a clip of that.

PS...found it with Google. Also features Country Joe McDonald and Joe Walsh. And Dick Van Patten. Screenplay by the Firesign Theater.

Don't all trip over each other placing your orders for the DVD.