1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz neck and bridge saddle help needed...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by troubleshooter, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Hi.
    I recently received a 2nd hand Jazz bass copy as a gift. Although a copy, it`s still a great instrument with great hardware.The neck had way too much relief, I set in to 0.10". I dropped the saddles as low as it can go, but still the action is too high. I wanna micro-tilt the neck but the neck is glued on with wood glue. Should I file down the saddles or somehow try to remove the glued on neck to micro-tilt? If so how to I removed a neck that has been glued on.
    Thanks in advance!

2. To remove the neck, grip it firmly at the headstock, find a large, solid object and give it a good swing... :D:rollno:

If the neck is glued in, about the only thing you can do to remove it would be to steam it out. If you have a standard Fender style bridge, it’s probably easier to work the bottom of the bridge saddles down or route out the area under the bridge so it sits lower in the body.

Make sure the pickups will go low enough to be at the correct height after you lower the bridge.

troubleshooter and RSBBass like this.
  3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Get the glued neck freed up. The bass has already been abused by gluing the neck in place, grinding the saddles instead of fixing the neck is just piling on more abuse. If it's yellow or white glue, soaking in white vinegar for a while softens it up pretty quickly. If it is hide glue, then a little warm water will do the trick. If it's a polyurethane based glue like “Gorilla”glue, then you need an organic solvent like denatured alcohol or acetone to soften it. Epoxy is more difficult, depending on the brand and cure time, gasoline (petrol), paint stripper, acetone, or denatured alcohol should either dissolve or soften it so the joint can be separated. Be advised you may be looking at a refinish once you get the joint separated.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  4. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Agreed - also, grinding the saddles will likely result in a weak break over angle...

troubleshooter likes this.
  5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Yeah, ^THIS^. And, AFAIC, everybody should write this down, too...:thumbsup::thumbsup: Also, again AFAIC, messing up your bridge is like treating a disease's symptoms. Fixing the neck is treating the disease itself...;)

troubleshooter likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021