Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz neck for Frankenbass project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rumblinbass, May 30, 2005.

1. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    I am in the middle of a Frankenbass project and I'm looking for some feedback from TB'ers that know better.

I need some feedback on a Jazz neck. Warmoth would be ideal, but they are a little out of my price range. Any other suggestions for a quality Jazz neck?...StewMac, Guitar & Bass Parts Resource, MIghty Mite, Allparts - best bang for the Buck?

2. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    There is a Peavey G-bass neck on the 'bay right now. Last I looked, 'twas sitting at like $70. I'd grab it, but A) I am more of a 5 guy than a 4 guy lately, and B) why buy the neck for $70 when the whole bass usually goes for around $200....

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    My parts Jazz has an Allparts neck with which I am pleased. One of the things to try when ordering a neck is to get your dealer/music store to order it for you because if they are any kind of reputable they should give you a discount on it as with anything else you buy. This saves you money and makes them some as well. This should especially hold true if you are going to have their guitar tech install the neck for you. As far as I know Allparts, USACG and Allparts have a dealer pricing structure.

Another benefit of doing it this way is that if you have any problems with the neck it will be the dealers problem to solve.

4. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    I have heard good things about Allparts.

What I am going to try to do is get a deal for making a big order. I need a neck, bridge, tuning machines, pickgaurd, pickups, and all other misc hardware. Allparts is definitely an option.

5. I was wanted that one :meh:

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Spend the money to get good tuning machines like Hipshots or Schallers. Get good pickups too. I don't know what Allparts carries in the way of pickups so you may have to go elsewhere for them.

7. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    yep...hipshot tuners, BAII bridge, but not sure of the PU's- hoping to find a good deal on the more popular brands (Bart, duncan, etc.).

8. Did I write that? Anyhow, I've been looking for necks and stuff for my frankenjazz and came to the conclusion I could get an entire bass for the price of some of these necks, so that's what I did. Snagged a Peavey Axcelerator for $230 including shipping. I'm going to use the neck,tuners,bridge, and electronics on a jazz body. I'm hoping to get a Cirrus like Jazz. As it is I do like this bass. The electronics sound great and are extremely versitlie. The neck needs some fret work but I like it, kind of a shaved J, dare I say geddy like? and I like the bridge. Something to think about.

9. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Rumblinbass;

If you know what kind of pickups you want you could probably find them used here on TB, Bassgear.com or even Ebay. One of the nice things about buying used pickups is that there aren't any moving parts to wear out so you're probably going to get a sericeable pickup(s). Save yourself a few bucks.

10. There's a guy on Ebay (US) that's selling mighty mite necks for $100.

I've heard the quality of them is alright, so that's one possibility.

11. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    I bought one of these for my natural swamp ash P Bass (Warmoth Body). Fit and finish were excellent, snug and tight in pocket and looks awesome. I sold the original Warmoth neck which was a great neck, but too heavy.
    The All Parts Neck was really well made with great fit and finish.
    http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/pbn6.jpg

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It's nice to live down the road from Warmoth and USACG. :D

-Mike

13. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    Then I'll keep an eye out and do some pricing on some Allparts stuff. I'm really just trying to find on store/site to get all the tings I need to hopefully get a package deal or something. I also just wanted some feedback on some non-Warmoth parts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Warmoth...I just can't afford the price tag on even the used necks.

14. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX

I've been looking at the Mighty Mite necks...anybody have any opinions? How they compare?

15. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I bought one. It is a good neck, not as good as Warmoth, but still decent.

One thing I like over Warmoth is the truss rod adjustment is at the headstock. That is important to me because unless you get a Warmoth body with a route to facilitate the neck heel adjustment you have to take the neck off to adjust it. I put mine on an Exxex body, so having the adjustment on the headstock is great.