Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz neck on a Precision bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bass, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Will a Jazz neck fit well on a Precision body?

My local Luthier moved away, so I called the next guy who's supposedly the best in the city. I asked him about installing a Jazz neck (that I ordered from Warmoth) on a P body. He said it would be too small and would tend to move around. The opinion on this forum seems to be that the neck will fit fine.

What's the real deal? I trust the advise on this forum. Any tips on installing a neck?

I realize this has been discussed before. Here are the links I found on a quick search.

Neck Sizes

Jazz neck P body

J-neck on a P-body

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Is it a Fender P bass?
    Is it a Standard P bass?
    Fender has made a few different kinds of P basses & some of them, a Warmoth neck won't fit.

If it is a Standard P bass (USA or Mexican), the Warmoth should fit with out a problem.

3. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Shims?
    I put an extremely thin '80s "Made In US" Jazz neck on my '64 P-bass.
    I recall players asking me "...is that a Precision or a Jazz bass"?
    That seemed to work fine for me, though I put the original neck back on the '64...loaned the ultra thin Jazz neck to a friend's son & never got it back. I hate when that happens.
    There have been '70s Fusion guys that put a Jazz neck on a P-bass...Randy Tico? Mark Egan?

Caveat-
    All Jazz necks are not equal. The Fender Jazz neck I described above was pretty damn thin(had white binding on the sides; I'm not a fan of that).
    I have 4 Warmoth Jazz necks. All 4 are somewhere between the above Fender neck & a P-bass neck, IMO.
    The very 1st one I bought(late '80s?) has proved to be the best for me...it feels just right. The next 2 were a little bit larger; enough for me to notice something was askew. I paid a local luthier about $75 each to make them 'the same' as the 1st.
    Close but no cigar. That's life.

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    My favorite style of bass to play is a P-Bass Body with a J neck. A friend of mine in Boston who is a luthier put one together from spare parts. A 64' p-body and a early 60's j neck. Along with a vintage J pickup to compliment the P-pickups, it sounds and plays like a dream. I hope to put one together myself in the next year or two.

I really don't see why you would not be able to do it. The only thing I can think of is that neck sizes are not perfectly uniform so you had probably check the sizes first.

good luck

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Another guy with a P(modified) bass body & Jazz neck is Jeff Andrews.

...and some go the other way-
    Ralphe Armstrong, fretless P-neck on a Jazz body.
    ;)

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    And me :p

8. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I have tried to interchange necks on some of my basses and found out that there are some that are not completely compatable, but with some work can be made to properly function.
    I have a 85 japanese p/j bass special that I attempted to take the neck off and put it onto my 60's jazz bass re-issue, the japanese neck would not fit into the pocket of the mexican 60's re-issue,BUT the mexican neck fit into the japanese bass with a little sloppiness.
    If I wanted to,I could have sanded down the japan neck and it would have fit,but I wanted to keep it on the original body so I just put it back.
    So my point is that even if they dont align perfectely you can do some tricks to make it work,If your not sure of what your doing I would advice against attempting to alter the neck without seeking help first by someone who knows whats up.
    If you are buying a new neck be sure to tell the manufactor what bass you will be putting the neck on(make,model,year ETC.)this will help aleviate any mis-cues about the bass in question.
    :hyper: