Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz neck on an older Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonynoriega, Jul 3, 2005.

1. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I recently removed the P neck from my 70's P bass. It's just too big (the neck) for my hands to play comfortably and I want to install a Jazz neck on the body. I'm partial to rosewood and would idealy like a USA J neck on it, but if I hear from enough of you who've used aftermarket necks I might go that way. Please post photos of your P to J conversion.......thanks, Tony Noriega, Tampa

2. You shouldn't have a problem. P & J-Bass necks are both (nominally) 2.5" wide at the heel so they're interchangable. I've heard, BUT I'M NOT SURE, that Fender no longer sells necks to the general public, although they're available used or as New Old Stock on e-Bay. Both USA Custom Guitars and Warmoth make very high quality replacement necks. I replaced the neck on my P-Bass clone last summer with a used neck I bought on e-Bay and I'm glad I made the change. If you buy a used neck, be aware that you may have to plug the old holes and drill new ones. That's not a big deal but it does require patience and accuracy. Also, there may be a tiny bit of variance in the width at the heel so you may have to do a little bit of sanding to get the neck into the slot. Good Luck!

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Tony, it works fine most of the time. Fender necks were designed to be interchangable and will always be. I prefer P-necks on Jazz basses, so the interchange goes both ways. Fender discontinued their replacement necks but some are available from dealers who have them leftover. They are a wee bit expensive however. Your best bet is probably to trade straight up for someone with the neck you want, or to get a replacement from either USACG (not licenced for Fender headstock), Allparts, or Warmoth.

4. Contrapuntal

Contrapuntal

Mar 1, 2004
    Toronto
    I'd suggest looking for a Genuine Fender 1962 Re-issue Jazz Neck. Its nitro-cellulose finished and feels/looks great. There often for sale on eBay and I'm sure some online retailers are still selling them. A bit pricey new, but fantastic quality IMO.

You could also keep your eyes out for a "B"-width Precision neck found on the early 70s Precisions. They come available on eBay occasionally. My 73 PBass has a B-neck (about 1and 5/8" width vs 1.75 for standard P-Bass C neck and 1.5 for standard J-Bass A neck) . The B-neck has a bit more chunk than a jazz neck and so still feels P-Bass-y but is a tad easier to play.

5. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    you might also look for a late 70's p with a jazz neck
    they show up frequently on ebay
    just make sure it's type a jazz neck (1.5" at nut)

I found a 78 and they are lovely

6. AllParts makes beautiful rosewood J necks with binding and pearl block inlays. However they're quite pricey.

7. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    A 1970s Precision with a Jazz neck is the one bass that I most regret not buying. It's the one that got away.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Your Elanor perhaps?

9. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
  10. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
  11. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Hahahaha, I suppose... It just had that vibe, and since it was a frankenbass it was cheap!

12. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I bought a Fender American Vintage '62 J-Bass neck with rosewood fingerboard for my 73 Precision from Musician's Friend back in 2000. It has a Fender decal on the front of the headstock. On the back of the headstock is a decal that reads Genuine Fender Replacement. It came packed in a velour (I think) bag that has a Fender logo. It is a beautiful neck and the price then was $296.99. The item number was 350005 069 01. The funny thing is I bought the bass new in 1973 for $321.50 (still have the price tag).

13. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I'm really glad I posted this thread........thanks to you guys who responded! I learned a whole lot about the options -- including the necks available on ebay and Musician's Friend -- and I'm going to start digging through those resources to find the one that's just right. I'll probably be a coupla' months til I get it dona and I'll post a photo on TB when I get it done.

14. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I don't know if there are any 62 reissue necks available but there are jazz bass necks on ebay.

15. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    What do you mean by "make the majority of the Fender Custom Shop stuff?"

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As in supply the Fender CS? That's a VERY wrong statement.

If you mean supply necks to the public that are otherwise only available through the Custom Shop with options such as blocks and binding, then your answer is correct.

17. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    One of my favorite basses was when I put a J neck on a P body. Sweet playing and sweet sounding.

18. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    Welcome to the P bass/J neck club. As far as the bass exciter pedal, I bought one once and sent it back. I also could not find a use for it.