1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz neck on my p bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stay Gold 1337, Aug 19, 2007.

1. okay so i have a MIA p bass that i like a lot, but every time i play a jazz (especially the geddy lee), i feel so much more comfortable with the neck. i know the necks are interchangeable, but is this a good idea? i feel like, for some reason (maybe it's my bad luck with things?), that if i did this it would somehow turn out bad for me. also, where's a good place to get a good quality neck? i'd like the neck to be at least as good quality as my MIA neck. i'd also like the neck to be a fender neck because i want it to look like it's supposed to be there. is there any way to get a geddy lee neck? obviously if i got a new neck i'd take it to a professional to get it set up properly... but i still feel apprehensive about the whole thing.

okay so anyways thanks for reading this and hopefully quelling my fears... haha

2. Maybe this will help, here's my main bass guitar, Fender MIM P with a Jazz neck:

[​IMG]

Very sweet player and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the same to any P bass, Jazz neck lover. Body/neck fit is perfect, and it's only an MIM so an American made should be even better (if it's at all possible). Only problem is the dreaded dead "D" on the G string, but this one isn't even as bad as some stock Fender tried in stores. But if I was to modify one from scratch, I'd go with a Warmoth neck just to do away with dead spot, I'd be even willing to put up with a bit of neckdive for it.

Anyway, if that's what you want, go for it, there's nothing to it. Even if you want to sell later on, only 4 screws to put the original neck back on the thing.

3. orangeboy

orangeboy

Aug 18, 2007
    milROCKee
    i have a MIA deluxe p-bass. it has the jazz neck, AND it has the music man pick ups with the p-bass split pick up. awesome playability, and plenty of tonal variations. almost as many as my L2000

4. man, bullshark, that is one slick lookin bass.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I have read here on TB that the MIJ Geddy Jazz neck will NOT fit a standard Fender neck pocket. However, I know from personal experience that a standard MIA Fender Jazz will fit an MIA P-bass pocket, and vice versa...you can switch P-bass and Jazz necks on MIA basses. I did it.

This is mostly true for MIM and MIJ necks, too, though there are exceptions. I even found that an MIJ P-bass 70's RI neck fit on my MIA '71 P-bass, and even the tuners from a '69 P-bass neck fit on that MIJ P-bass 70's RI neck perfectly.

Getting an MIA Fender neck is a problem. Fender will not sell you one unless you have a dead/broken Fender neck on your bass, and then will replace it with the same type you have. Evil-bay is "full" of Jazz necks, but good MIA necks are not cheap and bidding is fierce. Warning: Older 4-bolt Jazz necks, especially from the CBS era are often unstable (I've had 2). Also, be sure you are getting a 4-bolt, not a 3-bolt neck, if you go for an older Jazz neck.

Buying a neck on evil-bay is risky bid-ness. My evil-bay '69 P-bass neck was a mess (bad frets, upper fret hump, chipped fingerboard, overspray, etc.), and cost almost $500 in 2001. Statements from sellers about "truss rod works" and "neck is straight" are pretty meaningless unless you can evaluate a neck bolted on a bass and strung with the type and gauge strings you plan to use.

A cheaper Fender route is to go with an MIJ neck. I can't advise on jazz bass neck pocket fits here, except to cite my good experience with the MIJ 70s RI P-bass neck, and the Geddy Lee rumors, above. BTW, I got the '69 P-bass neck refurbished by my luthier (RSguitarworks) and it sounds way better to me than the MIJ neck did, so you may notice a change in sound with an MIJ or MIM. Stratosphere sold me the MIJ P-bass neck, and while they were OK, they were clueless about what tuners would fit.

Buy the neck with tuners!!! This will save you lots of heart ache and time.

The MIM Fender 60s Jazz Classics have a very very good neck, that will certainly fit a standard P-bass MIA pocket. This might be a good route to go, too.

Finally, Warmoth (and others) make great necks. I'd avoid being hung up on the decal, though I understand it. Just remember that it is not ethical (or legal) to put a Fender decal on a non-Fender neck.

6. Thank's. Look better in person than on photo as this color is hard to photography right, especially with cheap camera.

One thing I forgot to mention, which you probably know already but is easy to forget, is that some Fender neck have the truss rod adjustment at the top and some at the bottom. You'll probably want one with the truss rod adjustment at the head since otherwise, unless a cavity is routed in the bass body already, you'll have to remove the neck for making truss rod adjustment.

7. Yeah, haven't resolved the sticker issue on mine; I mean, the bass body, pickup and tone is Precision all over, but the sticker says "Fender Jazz bass".:help:

8. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I know that many see it this way, but I always have been able to adjust the truss rod on my Fenders without taking any parts off. They all have the adjuster at the traditional heel (pocket) end, right up against the pickguard.

I loosen the strings some, move them aside enough, and use a flat head screwrdriver, held at an angle to the top of the body. With care, it is fairly easy to adjust it with the neck still installed. :D

9. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    To me, a Jazz Bass decal on a P-bass is cool! :hyper:
    In the dark ages, I played a '68 P with a '69 Jazz bass neck for quite a while (after some trades).

The only problem was the neck wouldn't stay straight. It was a 4-bolt Jazz neck with a rosewood fingerboard, block inlays, and white edge binding. Some of those were not very well made, IMHO.

10. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Ignore it. I think it looks cool and if anyone asks just tell them you like the sound of one and the feel of the other so this gives you both.

11. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

A Jazz dimension neck on a P-Bass body is my favorite combination and works extremely well. As mentioned, avoiding e-bay is sound advice and Warmoth makes good necks but they are heavier than most. You also might want to take a look at U.S.A. Custom necks.

George

12. I had the bartolini mmc musicman pickup fitted to my stingray and wanted to fit another in my fender MIA deluxe p bass ,
    could you put some pic's up and a little discription of how you went about changing the pickup ?

I have been looking into fitting a status jazz profile carbon neck as well !! they look very cool and a a direct replacement !!
    Have a look and see what you think

http://www.status-graphite.com/status/carts3/frames/frame4.htm

13. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    Well, nobody has mentioned this yet, and I'm sure the poster knows this, but a Geddy neck is very different from a regular jazz neck. In fact, aside from the narrow nut, it's a completely different neck! Moreover, the truss rod is an old style where the neck has to be removed for any adjustments. That is a pain in the ass. I have two jazz basses, one Geddy and one 50th anniversary MIA. The MIA is super chunky and the Geddy is really, really thin. If you're gonna order a neck online sight-unseen, make sure that you know exactly what neck your getting. Not all jazz necks are the same. Good luck.

14. Just a question, any significant differences between American and Mexican necks, other than where they originate from?

15. The American made neck are reinforced with graphite, which is supposed to help getting rid of dead spot, while the MIM not. Unfortunately, the MIA I've tried in shops still had dead spot.

16. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI

Uhhh.....yeah, see above in this thread. :D
    No disrepect intended, but the neck DOES NOT have to be removed to adjust a truss rod in heel position, which was in another post of mine in THIS thread...but I don't think I'll bother to quote it.
    After all who reads any of this stuff?? Right???? :bag: