1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz Neck on Precision Body - Any Reason Not To?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jwsamuel, Aug 16, 2007.

1. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    I have a Fender Jazz bass and a spare Jazz neck. I'd like to get a Precision but much prefer the narrower Jazz neck.

Is there any reason not to just get a Precision body and attach my Jazz neck to it?

Jim

2. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Nope...

The Fender Precision Special and all Aerodyne P-bass are both P bodies with J necks. Its a good recipe IMO.

3. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I've done it.

4. RLS

RLS

Aug 2, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    They should bolt right up. I have a USA lakland Bob Glaub on order with a Jazz-taper neck. Very popular combination.

5. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
  6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I do 'em the other way.. P necks on Jazz bodies, but once again, no reason not to.

7. what your talking about is called a precision special, i love them, they often come with a jazz pickup in bridge position, aswell as the precision pickup, i absolutely love them, small precision body with the thin jazz neck, they are the basses for me!

8. This was my first real bass ever, bought it used. A 76 jazz neck, not sure the origin of the body but the neck plate dated to 61. I now play Squier ProTone P basses, they have Jazz neck specs on P bodies with a Jazz bridge pickup , much like P bass special.

Great combo

9. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    I have done it - it's great. Made me a P lover.

10. ShirazBop

ShirazBop Gold Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    +1

11. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    Thanks for all the replies. The Jazz neck is going to go on a Precision body.

Jim

12. Chandler Bing

Chandler Bing

May 16, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Hey Kenny, ever met Duck? Super nice guy...I used to talk to him quite a bit years ago (mid to late 80s) when he played in a local bar band at Mallards (I believe thats what it was called) in the Peabody. Great guy. (PS I live in Memphis also).