Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz neck on precision body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flak44, Dec 7, 2004.

1. flak44

flak44

Nov 4, 2004
    Kent, UK
    Does any one know if a jazz neck will fit on a precision body?

2. I'm sure I've read of a lot of guys using this combination- can't think of any specifically- look up P-basses on ebay, I bet you'll find 1 or 2.

3. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    You can absolutely put a J neck on a P bass body. I have a bass configured that way. No modification was needed.

4. Korey

Korey

Oct 29, 2003
    Lexington, KY
    It goes right in. Ive got one, and its one of the more popular mods out there. Love that P tone and the jazz feel... DO IT!

5. I have a P Special, made just like that. Pretty common.

And yes, P or J necks are interchangeable.

6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I did that with a bass I built and it was the best "P" bass I had played. I never iked the wider "P" neck but wanted a "P" sounding bass. I built mine from re-issue parts to have my own "62" bass:

Fender P-bass body
    Fender "J" neck
    Reissue reverse tuners
    Reissue 62 pickup
    BadAssII bridge
    Raven Labs active preamp
    flats

I used it on a gig with Al Wilson and nailed the tone of his signature tune "Show and Tell" which was great fun to play. I wish I still had it.

7. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    JPJ had one, but vice versa

8. Generally speaking, yes. You may find some MINOR size differences depending on where the neck and body were manufactured (i.e. USA, Mexico, Japan) but nothing too major. The dimension of the butt end of the necks on both the P-Bass and the J-Bass is nominally 2.5 inches. You will also need to be sure that the necks have the same number of frets, otherwise you can run into trouble. If the neck has more than 20 frets, make sure the "extra" frets are on an overhang that fits over the body. If you buy the correct J-Bass neck, you should have no problem.

9. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I have a P Deluxe with 22 frets but there is no overhang. The standard aftermarket jazz would be too short. USAGuitars will make me one though...but they are pricey...anyone bought anything from them through a dealer and gotten a decent price?

10. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Larzito;

Marcus was willing to order from USA Custom for me and discount the price.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Definately my favorite combo.

I've grown to like the bigger necks, so I tend to swap necks.

12. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I hear you tplyons about liking the bigger neck...I'm kind of digging it, then I pick up my bass with a jazz neck and it feels fast and easy to play but kind of ackward at the same time...kind of like a burger where the patty isn't real meat...chews too easily or something.

I may sand a tad off the back of the P to decrease its depth a little, but the wideness seems to offer more room on the fretboard for fingering around. My logic is, if I can play a 5 string, I can play a P neck...but my preference is probably somewhere in the middle.

13. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    My P-Spec came with a J neck.