jazz newbie

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by danqi, Jun 12, 2001.

1. danqi

May 21, 2001
    i want to get into playing jazz but the problem is that since i mostly listen to metal/rock i don't know anything about jazz or blues. could you maybe tell me some good artists/albums/songs to start with?
    and most importantly: could you tell me where on the internet i can find jazz tabs?
    to me it seems like most tab sites i know (this one, tabcrawler, mxtabs) are mostly rock-concerned.
    unfortunately i have not been playing long enough to be able to figure stuff out by ear.

2. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    truth is man, you WON'T find tabs (ugh!) for jazz or blues. you don't really play a set bass line for those kind of genres (and if you do, you're not playing like the jazz masters intended you to!) ... best thing to get you started is to join a jazz ensemble, either at your school or somewhere else. first thing you'll learn is how to walk a 12-bar blues, which can be pretty boring, but trust me, it'll lead to bigger and better things.

oh yeah, and if you wanna get into jazz and blues, you won't be using tab ever again. you'll have to learn how to read notation, or at the very least how to read a chart. if you're turning your nose up at this, then you're obviously not serious about your bass playing ... jazz is much more heavily steeped in theory than the rock and metal you listen to, so you're gonna be learning about triads, harmonized scales, major, minor, augmented and diminished chords, voicings, all that good stuff.