1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Nut on a P Neck (SX related)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy2, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Andy2

Andy2

Sep 29, 2000
    Hi All:

Last week the nut of my P/J SX (Essex) broke (E- string specifically). BTW the bass has only 6 weeks :confused:

I did some search during the weekend and found some aftermarkets P,J and Blank nuts. Also in plastic, bone, brass , graphite etc

I like narrow String Spacing (been playing jazz basses for years – this is my first precision neck).

Question – If its possible to put one of those Jazz Replacement Nut on the SX (P bass neck profile) ? My final goal is to have some narrow string spacing like a Jazz bass (or maybe closer) because I feel that the cuurent space is too wide .. .

Do I need to replace the Bridge as well in order to gtet some narrow string spacing ? (also considering the string through the pole pieces)

Thanks in advance :bassist:

2. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Odd that the nut broke. Were you using strings larger than the stock ones without having the nut slots cut bigger? I've seen that happen a few times.

As far as the string spacing goes, the P and J basses use the same bridge, so you wouldn't have to change it. Changing the spacing at the nut should be possible, but if you get too crazy then the strings will be farther away from the edges of the fretboard which will look weird and feel weird to play on also I would think.

3. Andy2

Andy2

Sep 29, 2000
    Thanks Dave

Yes I change the strings to Black Nylons (GHS) for 2 weeks. When I put back the rundwonds (ernie ball 45-100) the nut broke when I was tuning the string.

Yes, I understand your point regarding that it would look wierd en the edges of the fretboard (but i dont care ,, i Prefer Good and comfort playibaility ,, and i play fasterrr with my jazz neck,, the string spacing on this SX is too wide and I m mising a lot of notes or my left hand get stress during continuos reefs on the first 5 frets))

4. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    The nut on my SX PJ broke twice. Kurt replaced it free. The SX nut is flat across the bottom and some replacements are curved to match the fretboard radius. Check into this before you buy the replacement nut

5. Andy2

Andy2

Sep 29, 2000
    Good to know!!!

Tks

6. Andy2

Andy2

Sep 29, 2000
    Upppppp

7. Andy2

Andy2

Sep 29, 2000
    Anyone else has an opinion?

8. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The thing is, the width of the neck will still be the same, even if the strings are closer together. I think that the width of the neck plays a larger role in the comfort of one's left-hand-playing than the string-spacing does.

9. Andy2

Andy2

Sep 29, 2000

Hmmmm :meh: