Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Jazz" on PBS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Dec 26, 2000.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FYI: PBS starts what looks like a wonderful series of films by Ken Burns, "Jazz," Jan. 8, concluding on Jan. 31. Unfortunately, it only goes up to the 60's in jazz, according to the description I saw. However, watching a tape of the PBS's last "Sessions at W. 54th" I saw an ad for the series and I thought I saw a guy playing what looked like a Conklin:confused: Anyway, some history wouldn't hurt me. And, after all, it is one of America's few unique contributions to world culture.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Ed-
    ...have you checked out the posters' opinions @Jazz Corner?
    Man, it's UGLY!

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'm like the people who say they're just glad a program like this is coming to light.

4. Or maybe, "Jazz: The First 70 Years," since they're only allowing about 30 minutes of the 10th and final episode to cover the last 30 years of Jazz.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I just got the Ken Burns illustrated History of Jazz book this year, and so far it seems really interesting. As far as how comprehensive it is, I can't really say yet, but there is a lot of good stuff in there. I for one plan to tape the entire PBS series, thanks for the tip!

As far as the "What Wynton Says" thang, I don't know what the series is like, but the book only has one interview with him, and if you can get past the stupid things he occasionally says when he trips over his own ego, he makes a lot of sense. Reading a WYNTON interview is a lot like reading one by his arch-nemesis, SUPERJARRETT. Either way, you're reading along, thinking, "yeah, okay...that makes sense, yep,...I can see yer point, yadda yadda yadda...", and then, out of the blue, WHAAAAAAMMMMMM!, up comes some really closed-minded negative criticism of someone's playing that you love, or a style of music that you love, or the ethnic origins of your entire family, or some little thing like that. At which point you think, "Whoa, just one cotton pickin' minute!....this changes everything....this guy's such an unmitigated ass, I'm gonna have to go back and rethink all of the stuff he said earlier that I agreed with...". It's a shame, because if you can overlook the occasional (and seemingly inevitable) CLUNKERS than both pepper their interviews with, there's a lot to be learned from both.

The book also includes an interesting essay on Race and Jazz, and looks at the concepts of what has been called "White Jazz" and "Black Jazz". Thankfully, neither Wynton or Keith was the source for that one.

6. I would recommend the cd's that are being released now featuring music that will be in the series. I have heard a couple, and bought the Mingus one. It has some different versions and takes of some of his more well known tunes (Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, Haitian Fight Song...). It seems they really put a lot of thought and time into these discs. The 'Trane one is pretty good too.