jazz or classical, what do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chip, May 3, 2003.

1. Jazz

21 vote(s)
  2. Classical

11 vote(s)
  1. Chip

May 2, 2000
    I personally prefer classical over jazz, it just sounds better to be, and is more interesting
    they really push jazz at my school though, and there are alot of people that prefer jazz

and dont say you like the both equily, cos you gotta prefer one, even the littlest bit!
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I like both but if I had to choose one I choose the spontaneity and adventure of jazz.

brad cook
  3. Guha

Feb 2, 2003
    I like classical and the way it flows
  4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    That is too general for me, in both types of music there are styles and individual pieces I don't care for, and others that I really like. But I probably listen to jazz more than classical, so maybe that's an answer of sorts.
  5. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I went for Jazz.
  6. A few months back I would have said jazz without thinking about it, but then I hadn't really heard any classical stuff. Then I sang a part of Carmina Burana in a 200 man choir and with a band. Now I'm undecided, leaning towards classical.
  7. Im a classical guy
    i like big orchestras playing dark scary music
    penderecki is quite good
  8. That's a strange question. It's sort of like asking if I prefer eating or drinking. I like both genres. Which one I choose to listen to usually depends on my mood. Classical makes great pad-cleaning music, and jazz is more of a Sunday afternoon, kicking back with a smoke or two, vibe. Then again either one of those situations could be accompanied by some Blue Oyster Cult.:D
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Jazz= Learning everything there is to know about classical theory, rules, etc.
    and ignoring them all :D

I love jazz, but I'd take the rite of spring over most jazz anyday.
  10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    definitely classical.
  11. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I picked classical but it was a very close race.
  12. Isn't this one insanely good piece of music? ;)

I like both, but, since we must choose just one, I'd take Jazz anyday. Jazz is just so varied and, for lack of a better word, easy! :cool:

Plus, Jazz is Jane Monheit's genre. :p

13. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Oh no, here we go again... :D
  14. MU-HA-HA-HA-HA!

Now, I get to post my favorite link :D

You have no one to blame but yourself!!! :p :D

Hey, did I happen to mention that I saw Jane in March, and that she actually bumped into me on her way to the stage?

Okay, me and my girlfriend were in the Cafe Carlyle and she says, "Can you move your chair back a little, I'm kind of cramped over here, so as I'm standing up, Jane walks...

Mike :cool:
  15. To put it mildly, yeah. :D

Fun to perform too, you get a real epic feeling.
  16. I agree 100% Gunnar.

How could I misspell music? :oops: :(

I just did the edit trick. ;)
  17. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I like classical but I rarely see bass parts that lead.
  18. I'd prefer Jazz, only that I've been playing/learning/listening to it for 20+ od years.
    However in the last Three Years I've taken to lstening to Classical, my wife played Horn at I.U. in the 80's...and lives and plays for Classical. She is directly responsible for turning me on to the finer points of Classical.
    The many varied musical colors/shapes of Mahler, the very masculine Operatic sounds/voices of Wagner...also music by Zemlinsky, Brahms, Korngold, Goldmark, etc, etc.
    Too Much good music on either road to ever be bored!
    'Tis all Good.......
  19. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I couldn't really decide on the two, but I ended up choosing jazz.

chances are if I played a standup bass(which I really REALLY want to do), I'd much rather play classical than jazz, and then the choice would have been nearly impossible.