1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz or Precision for Punk? Hard Rock? Etc

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cyten, Mar 31, 2013.

1. cyten

cyten

Mar 31, 2013
    I seem to get asked this a lot and I come across it on various forums, so I figured I'll put in my $0.02
    I've played both on and off for the last 13 years for these styles of music and can offer a little advice.

The Jazz (type) bass offers a lot of tight, trebly, cut through the mix punchiness.

The Precision (type) bass has a rounder tone that is fuller and blends a little more with the mix.

both can sound great and it really matters how you EQ, your string choice and your action set up.
    Either of these basses can sound punchy or dubby depending on these factors.

For some audible differences Ive chosen two popular bassists in the genre who have similar playing styles and setups.

Hunter from AFI playing a Jazz Bass:

I have sat down and talked to both these guys and yes, im sure those are the correct basses for those songs.

anyway, those are just some basic differences between these basses for this style of playing that i wish someone would have told me when I first started out

2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I play in a classic rock/hard rock band, and my two main basses are a Jazz and a Precision.

My MIA P with flats gets most of the playtime, but the Jazz with rounds gets a few songs, too. I tend to favor the bridge pickup on the J, usually run the neck pickup at about 80%, bridge at full, tone wide open.

With the P, I run the tone about 50%, and tweak it as needed while playing.

Both work equally well, but definitely give a totally different tone.