Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz p/u to compliment SD ceramic MM

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xbradx, Feb 16, 2005.

1. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    i'm getting closer to putting together my custom j/mm setup and have been trying to decide what brand/model J pickup would go well with my ceramic SDuncan musicman humbucker(of course with the lakland-style 3-way coil switch). was thinking about a QP for the neck position. any suggestions(SJB-1 maybe???)

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

FWIW:

Assuming you intend to use the neck to flavor (fill out, beef up) the MM it probably won't make that much difference. A pup that can be used as a stand alone in the neck is a different issue. They either tend to be too thin or, typically too dark/boomie to suit my taste. But any pup that would function as a stand alone would likely work to flavor the MM.

I used a Bart J neck with some MM's and it worked fine in Dimento's MM experiment. Don't remember using any other J's with an MM but I don't think it would matter to me cause I primarily work off the bridge pup.

I recently picked up a set of Classic Stacks and they REALLY sound like vintage Fender J singles. They're not in a bass now but seems the neck pup used alone was borderline stand alone on the thin side (wired in series). If I had to take a stab at this point, it's what I'd go with. Plus it's humbucking (dead quiet) and 4 wire w/ground - giving you more wiring options.

The hotstack would be much darker and fatter in comparison but I'm guessing would be more appealing in parallel than the Classic. Haven't had a QP.

3. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    thanks for the input, if i get this setup, i'll have a 3-way switch for the MMp/u so i'll have the option of going with a jazz sound if need be and wasn't sure which j p/u would go well with one of the coils of the Musicman in a standard jazz setting. i'm not really interested in using the J-neck as a standalone at this point(maybe in the future), but more of the option of easily going from the MM sound to a jazz sound with the flip of a switch and turn of a knob :bassist: .
    i've only played a lakland with that setup a little bit, so i'm not sure how well the sound of both J and MM pickups together will work with my and my bands sound(but i'm always down with experimenting).

4. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    well, tonight was the night the marcus went under the router! i'm still working on getting the wiring totally set up. i thought that i had a 3-way on/on/on mini-switch to replace the 2-way switch already in there(since i always use the pre-EQ) for the musicman series/par/single setup, but it was just another 2-way so i just hooked it up as just series/parallel until i can get out tomorrow and pick up a different one.
    i'm also having a problem with the grounding, obviously soloing the stock J results in the usual hum, but there was also noticeable hum when using the MM in both series and parallel solo and mixing the two. will be checking the grounding as well tomorrow(i had used the copper foil shielding/star ground method with good results on the original p/u setup so not sure what's going on now.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

FWIW:

Probably just a bad connection on the MM. Seems you should be able to tie the neck j in with the bridge MM pole - get hum canceling and use it like a jazz bass.

One advantage to having two MM's is you can wire them inner and outer poles of each (like having two J bases in one) and be dead quiet no matter where you set the volumes. Aside, of course from whatever other options you want with them (do I hear a router?).

6. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    hmmm, maybe, lol. i've been checking out musicman sabre's lately and was thinking about what you said about adding a second MM pup and realized that since i've already sacrificed marcus to the routing gods to add the one MMpup, then adding the second wouldn't be as big a deal(i stressed for a couple of weeks over whether or not to go ahead with the bridge pup). my only concern then would be how the pole alignment on the neckHB would affect the sound. the closest i've ever come to playing a Sabre has been playing a few L-2000's and ASAT's at the indy GC.
    i can just imagine what running a jazz type setup with both MM pups wired in series(but parallel together like a jazz) would sound like :hyper: :bassist:

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Just take a piece of cardboard, line the edge centered across the poles of the current MM, mark the center of each pole and move the cardboard up the strings and see what you get. Strings don't have to be centered. Typically the only real concern is that the perimeter strings aren't at the outside edge of the poles cause if you bend away from center you'll likely experience a volume drop. Anything bent in will catch overlapping magnetic fields.

8. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    one other thing i've been trying to find out about those SDMM pups, the ceramics have the bar magnets under the length of each coil. do the alinco's have the same, or are they more like the stock pups(w/o the bar magnets)? the reason i ask is that the main reason i replaced the stock in my 77'ray was due to dropouts when i played/strummed hard enough, so the bar magnets seemed to help that problem.

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I don't recall Duncans having a bar magnet. Some pups do and I had a SMB-4d but it's been a while. I guessing they'd design the alnico the same way. You can email them to find out.

10. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    yeah, the ceramics do, but i've never seen the alinco version in person out of the package. i've seen it written that the alinco's have a "slimmer profile" so i've always assumed they don't have the bar magnets under the poles.