jazz pick ups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mind Eroded, Aug 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. im looking to upgrade my stock MIM pick ups on my jazz bass but i dont know a whole a whole lot about the different types of pick ups. Im looking for a vintage type of sound..something along the lines of john paul jones...growly but with alot of bottom. any suggestions?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Did you read the sticky thread at the top of the forum? A whole thread of different J pickup reviews
  3. I've got a set of Fender Custom Shop 60's jazz pickups if you are interested. $50 shipped.
  4. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    You should seriously consider putting in a series switch. Kinda like the S1 switching that the lads at Fender are doing now. You don't have to get all fancy and put it in the knob, a micro switch would be fine. Would add much girth to your tone! And it would be cheaper, too. Talk to your local guitar repair shop.
  5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    DiMarzio Model J's have a nice bottom end to them. You can wire each pickup to a push/pull volume pot, which will allow you to switch between series, and parallel operation.
    The diagram is available from DiMarzio. Just email them, and they will send it to you.

Hope that helps.
  6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.