Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz pickup choices...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sheepdog, Apr 23, 2004.

1. SD Antiquities II

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Sadowsky humcancelling Jazz

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Lindy Fralin Jazz

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I have read the Bass Player article...that is how I was able to narrow it down as much as I have.

The choices in no particular order:

1. SD Antiquities II
    2. Sadowsky humcancelling Jazz
    3. Lindy Fralin Jazz

I have heard #3 in person and #2 in various clips online and have liked them both. I keep hearing great things about #1, but haven't heard them in person. I have read all the opinions on them, though.

2. my fretless jazz has the Antiquity II's and i love them.
    beutiful bottom and they just feel right to me.

i actually had the sadowsky's in the bass before the SD's and i really think that the Antiquities work better in THIS BASS.

i don't have experience with the Fralin's but i've heard good things and the guitar pickups kill!

you can't make a bad choice with those three so it's going to end up being more about taste then anything else.

3. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I just want to make sure I get a good jazz tone while avoiding excessive hum.

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I realize single coils will hum some. The Skyline JO I played with the Fralins sounded great, but hummed alot. A recent MIA Fender (w/single coils) hardly hummed at all, even with pups soloed. So I know its possible to decrease hum.

5. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    okay, the Hwy1 had no hum (even with pups soloed), so I will remove the Sadowsky humcancelling jazz as a choice.

Down to SD or Fralin