1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz pickup choices...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sheepdog, Apr 23, 2004.

1. SD Antiquities II

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Sadowsky humcancelling Jazz

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Lindy Fralin Jazz

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I have read the Bass Player article...that is how I was able to narrow it down as much as I have.

The choices in no particular order:

1. SD Antiquities II
    2. Sadowsky humcancelling Jazz
    3. Lindy Fralin Jazz

I have heard #3 in person and #2 in various clips online and have liked them both. I keep hearing great things about #1, but haven't heard them in person. I have read all the opinions on them, though.

2. my fretless jazz has the Antiquity II's and i love them.
    beutiful bottom and they just feel right to me.

i actually had the sadowsky's in the bass before the SD's and i really think that the Antiquities work better in THIS BASS.

i don't have experience with the Fralin's but i've heard good things and the guitar pickups kill!

you can't make a bad choice with those three so it's going to end up being more about taste then anything else.

3. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I just want to make sure I get a good jazz tone while avoiding excessive hum.

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I realize single coils will hum some. The Skyline JO I played with the Fralins sounded great, but hummed alot. A recent MIA Fender (w/single coils) hardly hummed at all, even with pups soloed. So I know its possible to decrease hum.

5. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    okay, the Hwy1 had no hum (even with pups soloed), so I will remove the Sadowsky humcancelling jazz as a choice.

Down to SD or Fralin