Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jazz pickup cover question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 513rocks.com, Jun 18, 2005.

1. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    does a pickup cover change the sound of a jazz bass? i love the sound of my bass with it on but think i would like it better if i took it off. i just dont want to mess with my tone.

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    no change from what i hear, just more room for yer fingers

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Are you talking about the plastic pickup covers?

No, those don't make a difference sonically, they do protect the coil from damage and give the mounting screws something to hold on to.

Metal covers on guitar humbucking pickups make a huge difference in the tone, but that's because the metal affects the magnetic circuit of the pickup. Plastic is non-magnetic and has no effect.

4. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    no thats not what im talking about. the metal cover on '70's jazz basses. (see pic below)

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That's why I asked... They're not grounded so they shouldn't make any difference in tone. Also, they're not located between the strings or anywhere that close where they would affect the magnetic field emitted by the pole pieces.

6. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I don't think it'll affect the sound... I find them annoying (they look nice but get in the way of my fingers)

7. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    thats why i was asking. i like how it looks but it is in the way when i try to go from finger playing to slapping. i have lindy fralin pups in it and get a monster low tone out of that pup and thought the cover might have something to do with it.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Here's somthing interesting. I thing the code in this page loaded wrong.

9. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    most pointless post ever...however, i've been meaning to express my intense jealousy of ur avator. :bassist:

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    513rocks, no, they do not affect the sound. Some of the bridge covers with foam mutes will obviously mute the strings partially, however, the pickup covers do not interfere sonically with the tone of your bass.

I leave mine on for the vintage feel, and take them off if I'm really rockin' out.