Jazz Pickup Covers (hard to install? / Opinions?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nasonm, Dec 8, 2004.

1. nasonm

Jan 28, 2004
    Bangor, ME
    I have a MIM STD Jazz Bass. I see on Angela.com I can get the "vintage" look going by adding the covers for both the bridge and neck pup.

What advice/opinions can you give me on this idea?

And for those of you who have done it, how hard is it to put these dang things on a bass that doesn't have them. (I know it should only be a few screw holes, but I very well may screw it up).
  2. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I have done it several times, it helps my playing to have the covers on. I eyeball it, then use double-stick tape to temporarily mount them. Then move them around if needed till I get it just right, then make some guide holes, remove the covers and tape, drill and mount. Don't rush to drill the holes, put the bass on a stand with the covers tape mounted, and look at it from several angles, a few small adjustments may be needed before you are sure.
  3. +1 to everything!

I also had a Fender catalog to guide me in the placement.
  4. Yeah I ordered the 5 string Marcus Miller cover for my 5. good tips.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Oh, make sure it's not bent~

I installed a set on my P-bass way back when and it turns out the pickup cover was bent a bit in shipping, flatter than it shoulda been, so it didn't quite line up right when tightened down.
  6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    First of all, make sure they're going to be right for your sized hands and playing style before you drill holes. The two-sided tape idea is great.

I have em on all three of my Jazzes, and my hands are not big, so I pluck fingerstyle between the two covers. Some folks like to pluck or pick right over the pickups or near the bridge and it's not feasible with covers in place. When I slap, I rest my palm on the edge of the front cover and it's perfect for me.

I actually feel weird when playing a Jazz with no covers attached.
  7. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
  8. Warhawk

Jan 31, 2003
    Canton, Ohio
    I just got an American Vintage '62 Jazz (early Christmas present from my wife) and was pleasantly suprised to find that the pickup covers are not installed, but included in a separate bag. After playing one with the covers installed I found them to be in my way. They do look cool, but my new Jazz will keep those covers in the bag they came in.

Try it with the double-sided tape. (Great idea, iamthebassman.) If you like it, go ahead and attach the covers. If not, then no damage done.
  9. Southpaw5

Jul 18, 2009
    This is the issue I'm dealing with, the cavity is routed large enough that there is a gap anywhere I would mount the lower screw. this is on to of the this issue that my B string saddle is bottomed out completely and it still hits the pickup coler when slapped(I tried the tape method) I might have to put in a little felt riser of some sort for that. but the routed out cavity is really s@%ing on my Sundae : )
  10. rubber_ritchie

Feb 2, 2008
    I just got one through the post. I haven't fixed it yet but realise that it will make the E string rattle against it. Can this be fixed by changing the action? I think i'm going to take it to a guitar shop to get them to put it on right for me.
  11. rubber_ritchie

Feb 2, 2008
    I got it put on at the Bass Gallery in Camden (great place!). It doesn't change the sound at all. I'm loving it.