1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Pickup ID Help Needed

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BobKos, Apr 19, 2010.

1. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Hi All:

I recently picked up a Reverend Rumblefish. The bass has suffered some mods. I'm currently preparing to do something with this bass ( either restore it or mod the hell out of it ) so I'm doing inventory of original vs changed parts. I pulled the pups and believe that they're not original. I can't find any markings on them at all. They are single coil from what I can tell with black shiny electrical tape wrapped around the coil. They are neck and bridge length with black / white wires on the neck pup and black / red wires on the bridge pup. The wires pass through small eyelets. The bobbin flanges are plastic. The dominant feature for me is the large rectangular ceramic (?) magnet across the bottom of the pole pieces.

Does anybody have any idea who made these pups? Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Bump

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the correct answer is "who cares?"

those are ceramic bar-magnet cheapies, so whether they came stock or not (they probably did), they'd be the first thing i removed anyway.

(not a slam on reverend, which makes cool moderate-budget stuff.)

4. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Umm - I care. If they're original, then they need to stay with the instrument whether or not it gets further modifications. If I decide to sell it, it would be nice to know whether the pups are original because generally speaking buyers of Reverend basses ALSO care.

5. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    It does matter !!
    And it matters to the point that this is pretty important info ??

6. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i just checked their website; reverend no longer makes basses?

pity. i occasionally sub on guitar with a band whose bass player has two 5-string revs. very cool-looking, they sound good, and they're light.

thing is, those pickups are still far-east ceramic magnet cheapies like you'd find in a squier or an SX, and they're still the first thing i'd replace. they probably are stock, so i suppose you should save them (stash them in the case, maybe).

7. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    You're right - The Rumblefish is out of production. There are only so many made and we all have to share them. That's why I'm being cautious about what to do with this bass generally speaking and these pups specifically.

8. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    fair enough. pickup swapping is a non-destructive mod, as long as you don't lose the parts.

9. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Um, I'm not a total Reverend expert, but to my knowledge they did not use "far east cheapies". You've heard a Reverend? Not cheapie pups sound from mine. They are not something I would replace. The only two mods to by fish were to add a blend knob and make the side dots bigger for my old eyes