1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Pickup Pole Height

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Way1994, Jan 19, 2013.

1. I have a used MIM Fender Jazz bass and I have noticed the pole height on the A and D string is higher than the E and G string. Is this normal? Are these standard pickups for a 2003 MIM Jazz? I am new to bass, 10 months, and have not noticed this on other basses.

Attached Files:

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Yes this is normal and intentional. The magnets are raised to account for varying string height caused by the curvature of the fingerboard.

3. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    I think its a good idea, even though all J pickups don't do that.

For example, the Dimarzio Area J pickups I bought have the raised A & D pole pieces, but the Seymour Duncan Hot Stacks I bought do not.

Some of the actual Fender J pickups I've seen don't have the raised A & D pole pieces, so maybe it has been more common at different times, different models, etc.

4. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    As far as I've seen, most don't. I am a huge proponent of adjustable pole pickups for any bass. Seems like such a simple concept that can really offer complete string balance control for short money. My '97 MIJ Jazz FL now sports the DiMarzio DP123 set and I couldn't be more happy. I had string balance issues that these completely solved.

Way1994: for these uneven poles to be most effective, be sure that they are consistent with the height of the bridge saddles.

5. Do you believe these are stock Fender pickups?

6. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    Hard to tell without a hands-on inspection, or knowing what the year of manufacture is, but there's no reason to believe they're not the stock Fender pickups.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021