Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz pickups suitable for metal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basroil, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Like, old school metallica type? because I really like the SX SJB-62MG but it is J pickups. Ill put in DMarzzio Js eventually, would be, not totally horrible at the least for metal? I only have had experience with P basses.

2. i know that there a few metal bands that use j pickups, but most of them use EMG's or soapbars, which is why i try to stay away soapbars and EMG's, but i'm just not a metal rock guy. but with the right brand of j pickups i'm sure it could suit it well. i've never had experience with DiMarzio's, so i don't know what to tell you about those

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Shouuld be fine.

4. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    What kind of pickups do you use? I was also considering Basslines.

5. my friend put basslines in his MIM jazz, i'm pretty sure they're quarter pounders, i havn't really studied them since their not mine, and i never really tried to get that metal tone (once again, its cause i dont like the whole metal tone) but i'm pretty sure you wouldnt have a problem getting it outta them, just go to seymour duncans site and look at what j pickup models are recommonded for what, theyre all recommended for rock. but you woudlnt have a problem with them, look at reviews for both DiMarzio's and basslines before you make your decision though