1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz pickups with kick?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Well, I have come into some money today. ($101.57 to be exact) And now I think I'm going to take the plunge and upgrade my basses. I want to upgrade the pickups on my MIM Jazz. I like the tone of the stock pickups, but I want something with a little more kick to it. Something a bit more agressive maybe? I play punk, and I will only use passive pickups. Can I be helped?

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I think there are a few choices close to your budget.

Seymour Duncan "Hot" or "¼-Pounder". They're $53
    each ($106/set) at dguitarparts.com.

There's also DiMarzio DP123's. If I'm readin' it right,
    they're $89/set at M/F. What's nice about these
    is that each pup is a humbucker.

Is your MIM Jazz a recent model? I heard somewheres
    that they started using dissimilar-sized pups like the
    American series. The three models above all have different-
    sized bridge and neck models.

3. Oh, the budget doesn't much matter. By the time I'm going to be able to get the stuff, I'll have between $250 and $325. My Jazz is a 2000...the last year for the same sized pickups. Which means I'll have to do some routing or something.

As for the 1/4 pounder SD's...the lack of midrange on the tone chart kind of concerned me. Would I still get all the good cutting power as if I had the hot?

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    uhhh...good question? I've only tried the DP123 - and very
    briefly at that :(. I know several other TBr's have used both
    S/D's and could give ya' a better answer regardin' cutting through.

FWIW, here's the BP mag J pup shoot-out...click.

5. Basslines Hot SJB-2 might be a good choice. SD's literature says they have a midrange emphasis. A friend of mine put some in his mexi-Jazz a while ago and the thing came alive. Real meaty, in your face jazz tone. They're still single coils so you don't lose that Jazz bass characteristic sound. I mixed sound for his band and they cut through 2 guitars very nicely. Much better than with his stock pickups. I think he just installed them straight so the originals must have been different sizes. I liked what they did so much that I've ordered a set for my US Jazz.... They appear to be in short supply these days. Mine are back ordered until January...and the distributor's rep is a friend of mine who did a fairly exhaustive search. D'oh.

edit: bloody typos.:D

6. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Spacegoat,

If you need a set of "Hots" e-mail me .....

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    What about Fenders Custom Shop 60's pups? I have them in my 77 Jazz and they sound killer!
    Tons of mids and a pretty hot output,
    I got mine for around 115.00 for the set..

8. Thanks for the confirmation, I ordered a set today, and was hoping it had the mids that I want. I got a pretty good deal too, $109 at angela's.

9. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I would also recommend the Hot for J Bass pickups. Dont worry, they arent active. Dont let the word "hot" fool you, it certainly fooled me :p

10. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    EXCELLENT CHOICE! I hope you like them... They should make that MIM come alive....

11. notduane said...

FWIW, here's the BP mag J pup shoot-out... click.

I read the shootout earlier this week and bought a set of Bartolini 9W4s for my MIM Deluxe. I should have them on Monday. I'll keepya posted.

allan

12. Well a few minutes ago I placed my order for a set of SD Hot Jazz pickups. Ill know what theyre like in about 2 weeks. :D

13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I just ordered a set of DiMarzio DP-123s today from MF. There was a posting over on the FDP about a $25 discount coupon code, so I took advantage of it and got a set for $68 shipped.

14. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    I also have a MIM Jazz and I agree that the pickups are the weakest link. I replaced them with a set of Fender American Std pups and it made a HUGE difference.

15. Dolan

Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md
    HeavyDuty,

Where did you see the post on the FDP about the coupon code for the DiMarzio DP-123's? I'd like to buy a replacement set of pup's a Carvin U have. Thanks.

Dolan

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL