1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz Pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by johnm0187, Mar 27, 2003.

1. There are so many threads on this but there arent many people that play my exact style. I play a lot of slap and tap and fingerstyle. I like the sound of active pickups, but never have really heard a good passive one. The only active pickups other than stock have been Emgs. The highs i like and were really punchy but the lows were kinda lame. So what do i want? Another thing that would be helpful is a sound clip to go with the pickups you would recommend.

2. I have an Essex Jazz Bass and i have narrowed down my choices to DiMarzio Ultra Jazz or EMGs. What would be the best for my style of playing. I really want something that could cut through 2 distorted loud guitars (guitarists in my band). I need an answer.

3. dimarzio ultrajazz all the way

4. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Bass player magazine refers to the DiMarzio Model J pickups as "Marshal killers" in there Jazz pickup shootout. They do a good job of keeping up and they have adjustable pole pieces so you can have sting-to-string control of your volume.