Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz/Pizz Vs. Acro?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Funkize you, May 25, 2004.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Ok, I read this in the Newbie forum (Wasnt quite sure if this belonged in basses or not) and was really not too sure about this...

So is this "Pizz/Jazz" playing Finger Style? And Acro is Playing with bow correct? And I read how Carved basses have a Great tone for Acro but not for Pizz style, due to how the sound "Spreads" from the instrument, unlike non-carved basses (What are they called?) that have an "Up front" sound to them, that are apparently great for Pizz/Jazz, but not soo good For acro....

Ya know, I keep reading the Newbie link in the DB area, but its geared toward people that have an idea whats going on, For me It just add's MORE complexity to the question... Its like looking somthing up in the dictionary, and not understanding one word used to describe the initial words meaning!

Sorry for all the Newb, questions, but you gotta start somewhere right?

Full of questions,

-Tim S.

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    First off, its arco, not acro. :D

To answer your question, yes you are correct. Pizz (pizzicato) is plucking. Arco is with a bow. I don't know anything about carved basses being better for arco and plywood basses being better for pizz, I've never heard that before.

3. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Maybe I Misread something... But I remember reading something similar to "Carved Basses have are better suited to ARCO :D Than Plywood"

Mainly Because Carved basses have an Even "Spreading" sound, when used (in/With) arco. Or something to that affect.. BTW, Did I get such a Fast response because I called it Acro? If so, Imma mis spel evry ting fom know onn.

:D

Full of Questions,

-Tim S.

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Again, as I said, I don't know if carved or plywood basses are better for arco or pizz as a rule. I always thought the strengths of a bass were individual, and based off of so much more than the type of body construction.

And no, I didn't notice the typo until after I read most of the post. At first, I thought it was a one-time typo, but as I looked again, I noticed the trend :D

5. I'm feeling helpful today. Good job reading the Newbie links first. That's cool that they bring up more questions, there's nothing wrong with that.

As far as Carved vs. Plywood: It's not really a straight up arco vs. pizz thing. Generally carved instruments are superior (for arco or pizz) and most pro players use a carved instrument. However, there are always exceptions, especially in Bluegrass or Rockabilly vintage plywoods are often used by pros.

A quality plywood can be good for arco as well as pizz and there is nothing wrong with a good plywood. However a carved instrument just has more carachter in the sound and can sound excellent pizz or arco.

6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Thanks for the info! Im trying to find out all I can here :hyper:

Full of Questions,

-Tim S.

7. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Truth is, you could bow your electric bass with a leather belt if you wanted, and all the arguments for or against a particular bass, bow, string, whatever, are ultimately subjective. Plywood hasn't been around for 400 years, but because basses have the standard for comparison is solid wood. Any bone basses out there with pedigree status?

Sorry if I've made things even more complicated.