1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz players/fans: I need advice!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zapp, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    jazz friends
    I admit to liking and playing ALMOST all genre; rock, classic rock, blues, R&B [my dream gig.... the only white dude in a jammin' big R&B band], folk/acoustic etc but I am a lightweight re: mainstream Jazz. My teenage son is a pretty good experienced drummer, is learning bass, good sense of harmony and rythm etc and he is wanting some Jazz Trio/combo recordings, and I dunno what to look for.

What he wants is the uptempo drum/stringbass/piano kind that wakes up the sleepyheads and gets the toe-tapping :cool: . not the lazy smoky experimental-improv type.

Can you give me some titles and or groups/names to look up?
    thx
    Z

2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    [​IMG]

....If you don't mind hearing electric bass and some seriously grooving improvisation that is...:)

3. I'd recommend The Bad Plus. They're a drums-piano-upright bass trio specializing in...more eclectic jazz. All three musicians in the group - especially the drummer- are amazing; it might be worthwhile to give them a try.
    I'd also recommend anything by Michel Camillo - great piano player and innovator who has been known to play in trio format.
    Hope this helps - good luck!

4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I've been kind of wondering about this, too. I'd like to get more into jazz, but the only type I really seem to enjoy is that toe-tappin stuff Zapp's talking about. I'm the farthest thing ever from a jazz buff, and the only word I can think of to describe the overall style is 'bebop'.

Y'know, with a DB that sort of walks really fast, and maybe some like bongos or something.

5. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Buy a copy of The Rough Guide to Jazz. All you'll ever need to begin.
    Peace

6. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    +1 for Bad Plus. Also, look for any Coltrane you can find.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

"Giant Steps" by Coltrane, probably fits the bill - although like most of these things - it is horn, piano bass drums.

Piano trios tend to be a bit more laid back - probably due the influence of Bill Evans who was the master of the piano trio but tended to get into areas as you describe :

" the lazy smoky experimental-improv type." ;)

For a modern piano trio I would recommend Brad Meldhau - playing Radiohead - say... Paranoid Android from Largo - driving stuff! :)

I think your problem will be that most Jazz groups like a bit of variety and so albums will have some fast tunes and some slow ballads....?

My other suggestion would be to take this query to the 'Dark Side' - so you are currently in BG-land - but a lot of the regulars on the DB (Double Bass ) sided are experienced Jazz pros and can give you a lot of recommendations! :)

{Maybe a friendly Mod could move this thread to DB Recordings - as the OP is asking for "string bass"....? }

8. For what you looking for try Dave Brubek and others like that. (I find it kind of corny though, not that they arent great players just not what im into)

I would also consider having him check out some be-bop, hard-bop, avant guarde, ect. (which is what i really love and what IMO is what jazz is all about and just about all i play) try people like Charlie parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Dexter Gordon, John Coltrane, Wes Montgomery, Thelonius Monk, Wayne Shorter, Jimmy Cobb, Art Blakey, Lee Morgan, Cannonball Aderley, Charles Mingus, Wynton Marsalis, ect.

I think you'll find he may really like this kind of jazz better, being only 17 myself, and i absolutely love it and devote as much time as i can to learn how to play over and with their changes and the theory behind all of it and i find the bass players like paul chambers, ray brown and so many others from that era to be probably the greatest players ever,that goes for the horn players and drummers,vocalist,ect. as well, or maybe he wont like it at all but its worth a try.

9. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Hokk him some Keith Jarrett Trio stuff, the current trio with gary peacock and jack dejohnette, not the old one with charlie haden.

And then if you can stand listening to a bit of electric bass and keyboard Hiromi Uehara

10. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Medeski, Martin and Wood--like The Bad Plus on acid. ;)

11. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    I knew you guys would have the goods.... so many good leads to chase now. I'll start combing for samples of the many recommended here ...

horn is fine.... bari Sax, tenor sax, love 'em in the right hands [not a trumpet fan though, i admit.... childhood force-feed memories :mad: ]

12. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    ok, i accidentally stumbled on an example.
    Tried Bad Plus and some of the others and that's not it....

this is the example: John Scofield "Little Walter Rides Again".... Obviously not Dbass but the feel, the groove, the tempo, all that....
    http://www.johnscofield.com/scoaudio/outlouder/01littlewalterridesagain.mp3

what's the proper designation/moniker?
    also:
    http://www.johnscofield.com/scoaudio/outlouder/05tootiemaisabigfinething.mp3

here's one more that's a direct hit on the target [a Coltrane number, played by scofield & friends]
    http://www.johnscofield.com/scoaudio/saudades/bignick.mp3

thx
    z