Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz players, what's your rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Sep 15, 2005.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I'm starting to show a little intrest in jazz and I was wondering what kinda rigs are you playing through?

2. Bass ->Maxon AD-9 (it sounds so nice soloing) ->Aguilar AG500SC ->Aguilar GS112

3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    bass > eden pre-amp > crest power amp > acugroove 2 10> accugroove 18

:D

4. rig's just waiting on the parts to get here as we speak

bass-->SWR Workingman's 4004-->Avatar B212

hey, what gets the job done gets the job done.truth is, a jazz rig could be made from anything. and when i say anything, i mean from the 80's peavy sitting in the corner of my room gathering up dust, to that nice mesa boogie rig that lives in many bassist's dreams.

and does anyone find it ironic that i play jazz music on a p bass rather then the actual jazz? :confused:

5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I use several depending on the band/venue-

Favorite: Eden Nemesis NC-210 Combo

Others: Fender BXR 100 for smaller stuff

GK 800RB into a hartke xlt 4x10

6. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Nope. :rollno: ;)

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Keep posting your rigs, I am interested in this :ninja:

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    GK400RB-III and 410RBS

9. SWR Workingmans 10 with Extension
    or
    Eden Silver Series 2x8

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    mebbe... :smug:

but hey, Ron Carter played a few miles gigs w/ a P.

11. basseuphoria

basseuphoria

May 19, 2005
    rig's just waiting on the parts to get here as we speak

bass-->SWR Workingman's 4004-->Avatar B212

hey, what gets the job done gets the job done.truth is, a jazz rig could be made from anything. and when i say anything, i mean from the 80's peavy sitting in the corner of my room gathering up dust, to that nice mesa boogie rig that lives in many bassist's dreams.

and does anyone find it ironic that i play jazz music on a p bass rather then the actual jazz?

hey, dude, if you can make beautiful sounds out of a broomstick on a wash tub and call it jazz then you are the man!!!!
    in all honesty, a lot of of jazz stuff bass-wise has been played a a P! midrange definition and enough 'growl' to get the job done!

12. Aguilar GS112, and also rocking the Jazz on a fretless P! Sometimes I gotta have that J growl though, so I switch it up.

13. You think that 112 is enough to handle a 20 piece big band?

14. I've heard guys in large rooms with a big band using an electric bass and those small GK micro combo's and it sounds great. Remember, the requirements of a bass tone in that setting are very different than in a pop setting... you not only don't need the big bottom, but you probably don't want the big bottom.

For my small group jazz-oriented gigs, I like my Schroeder 1210 and a Focus with my Stambaugh. My particular Stambaugh has a very warm, mellow tone with plenty of mid punch, and combined with the Focus (which I would describe also as warm and full), it works well in playing more traditional style jazz on an electric, where note definition is much more important (IMO) than 'filling in the bottom' in a pop setting.

However, as many are bound to point out... if you are swinging and know the changes, any rig will sound fine :D

15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Fender Jazz -> SansampBDDI (rarely used, but still in chain) -> Ashdown Mag300H -> Avatar B210Neo + Avatar B212

16. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    Indoor gigs: Zon fretless and Rick Turner Renaissance fretless > EA iAmp (original UK model) > EA VL-110 or VL-208.

Outdoor gigs (no PA): Same basses > single rackspace preamp (Demeter HBP-1, Kern IP-777) > QSC PLX2400 modded to increase input sensitivity > two EA VL-110's or VL-208's.

17. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Main rig: Yamaha RBX 765A -> Kustom GrooveBass 1200 -> Seismic Audio SA210 -> SteelSound SSB212

Small room: sans SA210

Coffee house: sans SSB212

(you get the idea)

I didn't include effects, wireless, etc since I don't use 'em all the time.

18. MIA Fender Jazz - EHX LPB 2UBE - Gallien Krueger 400RB-IV - Avatar B210 Kappa Pro

19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    MTD basses > Zaolla Cables > EA Iamp 500 > either/both EA Cxl-112 and EA NL-210

20. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Definately.