Jazz please

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Sep 20, 2005.

1. I've been a huge fan of Jaco and Stanley for a while now, but I want something new. By that, I mean I want some GOOD Jazz with a kickass bass player. Any suggestions?
  2. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Charles Minugs, "Ah Um".
  3. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    +1 on the Mingus. The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is another of my favorites.
    Also, just about anything by Miles Davis. One of his best bassists was Ron Carter. Sorcerer and Nefertiti are two favorites of mine. If you're more into electric bass in jazz, try Live/Evil.
  4. ^Yeah, I prefer the Electric, but I have nothing against upright. I'm just not a big fan of the sound of an upright. Anyway, I'll check these out, I've heard nothing but great things about Mingus, but for some reason never looked into it. Thanks guys, and keep 'em coming.
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Jacob Fred Jazz Oddyssey
    Medeski Martin and Wood
    Trio Convulsant

Miles Davis had some great electric bands in his pre-retirement fusion period.

I'm not a huge fan of his later stuff with Marcus Miller, but those recordings are okay.
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Check out Oscar Pettiford. He's got a number of albums under his own name.

Also check Pettiford/Burke, a record that combines and O.P. album with a lesser known bassist called Vinnie Burke.
  7. Respectfully, is Morphine really considered a jazz group?
    +1 on JFJO and MMW though.
  8. yeah, JFJO is awesome, imo reed mathis is doing something that jazz has never seen (or heard) before.
  9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    By my definition yes. By some genre-nazi's definition, probably not. 2/3's of the band was jazz oriented, Sandman brought the rock and the drone.
  10. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Look for anything featuring these bassists (can't go wrong):

Steve Swallow
    Butch Warren
    Eberhard Weber
    Milt Hinton
    Jimmy Blanton
    Oscar Pettiford
    Ray Brown
    Paul Chambers
    Percy Heath
    Charles Mingus
    Scott LaFaro
    Jimmy Garrison
    Charlie Haden
    Bob Cranshaw
    Ron Carter
    Gary Peacock
    Eddie Gomez
    Marc Johnson
    Dave Holland
    Peter Ind
    Rufus Reid
    Miroslav Vitous
    George Mraz
    Palle Danielsson
    Buster Williams
    Jaco Pastorius
    Stanley Clarke
    Christian McBride
    John Patitucci
    Reggie Workman
    Dominique di Piazza
    Anthony Jackson
    Chris Laurence
    Larry Bartley
  11. I'm trying to be as nice as possible about this, but I will respectfully disagree with you. They were a great drone-y rock band that had a fat bari sax in place of guitar, but they wern't a jazz group. My opinion. And remember, I said they were a great band. I used to listen to "Yes" and "Cure for Pain" a lot back in the day.
  12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    It's cool, I really try not to buy into the complexities of genres, so label it whatever you would like. I more of a "square peg won't fit in a round hole" type listener.

The Mass has out and out jazz moments, horns in the air metal moments, and moments that are just something only they have done. To label them as "simply" metal is not true. They have metal roots, but they have major jazz roots also.

Basically, toma-to, tomat-o.
  13. You know, I have been thinking this over, and in a way you could say Morphine has a jazz thing happening the same way Tom Waits does.
    At any rate, I think I'm going to track down those old discs and give them another spin.

I have seen you mention The Mass on here several times and have been intrigued. Will I be able to find their discs in stores or will I have to order them online?
  14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    In a store, doubtful. You might be able to order it from the local record shop of your choice. Cdnow.com has their major label debut. Cdbaby.com has their indie label release.

They have a new one coming out sometime soon. I've only heard one song off of it, but it was very good.

Check them out if you haven't already. Link If you can find a mp3 of the song La Porc, download it, this song showcases everything that I like about them.

Ephel Duath is more odd-time Prog-oriented and has many jazz-guitar moments. ephelduath.net

If you are getting back into Morphine and Tom Waits, I urge you to check out a local band called Circus of the Seed. www.circusoftheseed.com Similar vibe, sans the slide bass/drunken huskiness.
  15. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Great list. Let me just add some new comers:

Charnett Moffett
    Avashai Cohen