Jazz / Pop / Double Bass-Electric Bass Position: HR Big Band

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by John Goldsby, Dec 2, 2016.

1. John Goldsby

John Goldsby Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Discover Double Bass, Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    There are three radio/TV stations in Germany with full-time jazz big bands (Cologne, Hamburg, Frankfurt). My colleague Thomas Heidepriem at the Hessischer Rundfunk in Frankfurt is retiring from the HR Big Band, and the search is on for a new bassist who plays double bass and electric bass.

Link to the application information (in German).

Gesucht: Bassist/in (Kontrabass und E-Bass)
    de.hr.cms.servlet.jpg
    icon_lupe.gif

E- und Kontrabass
    Die hr-Bigband sucht eine Bassist/in in der Nachfolge von Thomas Heidepriem.
    Sie sind eine ausgezeichnete Bassistin / ein ausgezeichneter Bassist in solistischer und insbesondere in begleitender Funktion. Neben bereits vorhandener Erfahrung in einer Big Band, können Sie hervorragend vom Blatt spielen und sind sicher in der freien Begleitung verschiedener Musikstile. Des Weiteren bringen Sie erstklassige Referenzen mit.

Informationen erhalten Sie unter 069/155 3019 oder www.hrbigband.de Bewerbungen von Frauen sind besonders erwünscht.

Wir freuen uns auf Ihre ausführliche Bewerbung, gerne mit Hörbeispielen, per E-Mail oder per Post an unten genannte Adresse:

Hessischer Rundfunk
    Anstalt des öffentlichen Rechts
    hr-Bigband Management
    Bertramstraße 8
    60320 Frankfurt am Main
    [email protected]

PaulCannon, old spice and DrayMiles like this.
  2. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Man, if I only spoke German...

3. John Goldsby

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Discover Double Bass, Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    I think if you showed a lot of credentials, and a high level of skill in big band pop music on electric and acoustic bass, then the German speaking thing would be secondary. On the other hand, it's expected that you learn German eventually :)

I didn't really speak German when I took the gig at the WDR 22 years ago. But I worked on it hard, and picked it up pretty fast. Good luck

Adam Booker likes this.
  4. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Oh, I think I'll stay stateside and sit this one out. What an amazing opportunity, though. Good luck, bass players!

5. John Goldsby

Mar 4, 2003
    Here's the ad in English:

“You are an excelent bass player, as a soloist and especially in accompanying. Besides having experience playing in a big band, you can read music well and are confident in playing a variety of musical styles. In addition, you have first-class references.

Information is available at 069/155 3019 (U.S. 011-49-69-155 3019) or www.hrbigband.de. Applications from women are particularly welcome.

We look forward to your detailed application, gladly with audio examples, by e-mail or by mail to the address below:

Hessischer Rundfunk
    Institute of Public Rights
    Hr Big Band Management
    Bertramstraße 8
    60320 Frankfurt am Main
    email: [email protected]

6. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    I wouldn't pass on this simply because of the language barrier. I started with a symphony here after only a few months of being in the country and learning the language. I found that if you at least know your letters and numbers and some basic musical vocabulary, then rehearsals aren't as scary as you might think. I bet a lot of big band rehearsals are done in English anyway, as there are often foreign soloists present. That said, learning German was really tough for me. Maybe even harder than learning Bass!

John Goldsby and Adam Booker like this.
  7. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Well, being 5 years in on a tenure track position helps the decision making process easier, too. I'd like to think "alternate universe Adam" is applying for this job, though.

John Goldsby and robobass like this.
  8. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

Jan 24, 2002
    Frankfurt, Germany
    NS Design / AER Endorsing Artist
    This is a VERY cool job to have. It's well-paid, and as stable as any full time orchestra job. I've done some recording work with these guys, and they're great.

Frankfurt is kind of a mixed bag, but between the airport and the train system you're about an hour away from most parts of Europe. Pretty ideal for travel junkies.

Adam Booker likes this.
  9. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

My lacking the requisite skills notwithstanding, I refuse to live in an part of the world that refers to the most important jazz musician of the 20th century as -"Kilometers Davis".
    Danke!

10. John Goldsby

Mar 4, 2003
    I can't even think of string length in inches anymore...it just seems so random :)

11. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

"String Length" would be the second item on my "How Long Is It?..." list.

Remyd and John Goldsby like this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2022