1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Preamp and Pickup Questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by theory028, Sep 1, 2008.

1. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    I will hopefully be getting a MIM Fender Jazz sometime in September and have been looking at electronics upgrades. I am still new to electronics, so keep that in mind.

The first thing I decided on was the Audere JZ3-VB-3B. Having read an abundance of good things about it here, it seemed like something I'd like to try. I'll also be looking to drop in some new pickups. I browsed the selection on BestBassGear.com and the Delano JMVC 4 FE/M2 caught my eye. The big pole pieces really grabbed my attention. I'd like to try one of these out. They'd look awesome and it seems like Delano makes some solid pups.

I want one pickup to have a vintage sound and the other to have a powerful low end. Which category would this pup fall into? The description says it has "powerful low-end response, detailed midrange and brilliant highend for direct in-your-face, take no prisoners bass tone". I'm not sure what is meant by in-your-face but the powerful lows with brilliant highs seems nice. I'm not sure why I don't trust that, though.

Another concern of mine is wiring. I am inexperienced; I don't know how I managed to install my Precision pup without messing something up. ;) I took a look at the wiring diagram on the Delano site and the passive operation pictures were confusing. Since I'd be using the Audere, would it still be as simple as putting the pup wires into the spots on the preamp?

I don't intend on rushing into anything, but the GAS for the bass is getting to me and I needed something else to look at. It'll be a while before I truly consider these upgrades (gotta play the bass stock for while before deciding what the best route to take is), but I figured it couldn't hurt to get a few questions answered in the meantime.

Thanks!