Jazz? Punk? I can't decide!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xxxBassJunkiexx, Dec 16, 2001.

1. AHHH! I've been saving up for another bass (Right now, I have an old Jazz Magnum....enough said), but I don't know if I want a better Jazz Bass, or a P-Bass. In one band, we are strictly swing/jazz...but in the other, we're leaning towards Dead Kennedys, ect ect ect. Anyone have any ideas on what I should do? :confused:
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Doesn't matter really, they are both good for both styles. I'm serious: a nice P or J bass has it's place in virtually any kind of music. You really can't lose.
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Klaus Flouride from the Dead Kennedys played a J bass. So, either bass is gonna work just fine, just depends on which you prefer.
  4. liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    jazz, more versatile
  5. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Dont let the name of the bass fool you. A Jazz Bass can be used for punk, and a Precision can be used in jazz.

Play both basses, go back and forth a few times, and decide which one has a better tone to you. J basses have a more nasal, growly tone to them, while Precisions have a deep tone to them. Also, J basses have a slimmer neck which is good for people with smaller hands, while the Precision has a chunky neck that people with bigger hands like.

I'd say decide which one has a better sound. Pick the bass that speaks to you. The neck width also is important, you don't want to have a Precision bass if you cant reach the low F! :)
  6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    hearing someone mention dk reminded me of the concert video from 85. klaus is playing a 66 sherwood green(iirc) fender jazz with a matching headstock. he just tosses it around like its nothing. that bass is worth sooo much bread right now that its funny watching him do that
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have that video. He throws the bass on the floor at the end of the last song, volume still up. Sounds awful.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

Sorry. Couldn't resist. But, seriously, go for something original, fuse Jazz and punk...if that's humanly possible...
  9. I just went to a "punk rawk show" and 3 bands played and i saw... 3 jazz basses. The bass sounded really nice on all of em. I'd go jazz. more versitile, and it's slowly becoming the basic punk rock bass because i'm seeing lots and lots of jazz basses. But, play em both, buy which one you like.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Versatility is in the player, *not* in the bass. Both basses work fine in any style.
  11. i know they often get a bad rap, but did you ever consider a hot rod fender? both kinds of pick ups...very versatile...or i've u got a wallet that really needs to lose weight (probably not) try a stu hamm.
  12. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    i'd go j-bass. but check out that new fender zone.