1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

jazz PUP loaction 60s vs. 70s

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nubs, Jul 26, 2012.

1. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    i know search it: i did and didnt find what i was looking for...

that being said, is there and easy way by just a simple visual what the PUP location is on a jazz 60s vs 70's? i just read in a thread something about a referance point to the knobs. thanks.

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    From '60s to '70s Jazz basses, while front pickup stays the same, rear pickup goes toward the bridge from 1/4 to 1/3 to 1/2 inch, depending on the manufacturer.

Fender, as you surely know, just goes like this:
    View attachment 280135

View attachment 280136

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I could be mistaken but the distance between the pickups on a 70's is closer. Look at Larry Grahams white moon bass. That spacing, from the bridge and between the pickups as well makes that bass talk. That my friend is 70's funk. That is the sound for me.

4. 70's - bridge pickup is closer to the bridge, neck pickup stays the same.

70's - more sizzle, pop and grind
    60's - more fundimental, solid, round

to be very general.

5. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Yeah man!! I'm into that sizzle, pop, and grind. Sounds like I'm at the strip club. Come to think of it IMO the 70's sound is more sexy. Well at least to me. The 70's brought to light Larry Graham, Louis Johnson, The Ohio Players, The Barkays, Kool and the Gang, Mandrill, War, Santana was hot, Buddy Miles etc. etc.

6. marantz10

marantz10 Master Bass Playa

Oct 21, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Attached is a screenshot from "The Fender Bass: An Illustrated History" page 59.

Attached Files:

7. as you can see in the pictures posted by wallace, on a jazz with the 70s location pickups, the bridge pup will line up with the tone knob, thats probably the reference point you read about

8. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    The purpose pof moving the bridge pup rewaward towards the bridge was because of the large ashtray bridge cover adopted in teh 70's. With the Pup in the original 60's position, it protruded and looked like what it was, an "after thought".

The Pup was moved so it placed under the new larger ash tray cover. It had nothing to do with sound. It was purely asthetics.

9. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    This makes more sense than anything else. The sound it brings is just a plus, but that pickup needs to stay under the cover: makes the bass look cleaner.