Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz question (yet another)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassistjedi, Jun 5, 2001.

1. Yes I realize that there are about nine other jazz posts and I have read them all. I am not asking what to listen to or tabs to the songs. I merely want to ask for techniqe help and if anyone knows of a website that has chord charts for bass and or instruction for using chords. I have very little money so books probably aren't going to help me right now. I am aware that jazz radio stations are a big help but I have no access to them(none in my area, no cable, just can't get internet sites to connect on my PC). I simply would like some tips or pointers to give me a good start to playing improv jazz. Please do not take me as stupid or ignore this as "another idiot wants to play jazz, so why doesn't he read all the other jazz posts on the site". Thank you and I hope you take me seriously.

2. I have never heard anything of four part chords so I do not think that I know any of them. So please explain just in case. I am a newbie so I am trying to get away from the root note mentality. I play mostly in my church and I do not have music for all of the songs we play. I am pretty good at playing the root by ear and knowing the songs but that is started getting boring. I started exploring scales and was sort of overwhelmed by the large amount of them. You know like which scales would I use for whatever. I pretty much stuck with the blues scale. So I started adding filler notes and some walks between roots but I want more. The old bassist for my church played the other day and I realized how bad I suck. He has been playing long enough to be my grandfather however but I mean man, I need to get a lot better. I can't go to the library because I owe them a great deal of money on some overdue books. So until I take care of that the resource known as the internet will have to be my only source of knowledge.

3. bassistjedi-
    You're really going to have to figure out a way to start listening to jazz. That's the only way you're going to get it into your soul and without having it in your soul you'll never be able to play it. Ed is right. Pay your library fines. Make use of their resources. Most libraries have recordings you can listen to. Go listen to jazz. Look for free jazz concerts in your area. Look for jazz jam sessions and go hang out and listen and meet musicians. Download free mp3s off mp3.com and other similar sites. Take a jazz appreciation class at your local community college. Find somebody at your church that listens to jazz and ask to listen to some of their favorites. Bottom line, you have to listen to jazz.

Okay, now I'll help you with what you asked for, a website with some jazz charts.
    http://www.electricbass.ch/cgi/scores.pl
    It's in German but it's easy to figure out. It's also has transcriptions in standard notation.

Another website to check out.
    http://www.guitar-and-bass.com/fivestringbass/index.html
    This is for 5 string bass but it's still applicable. Just ignore the B string. You can use this to learn to play two octaves of the major, minor, harmonic minor and melodic minor scales and the arpeggios for the chords as Ed outlined. Learn theses scales and arpeggios and listen to all the jazz you can and you'll have the basic foundation to start learning to play jazz.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

As we're talking about Jazz Books on-line and chord charts; has anybody tried the "Real Book Online" which seems to be French site but allows you to print out chord charts for all the songs you want - I've already printed out a few - like having a Real Book for free!! :D

http://www.multimania.com/realbookonline/real-book.htm

5. Bruce-
    Thanx for that link. I have the 1st Real Book but I don't have vol 2. That's very cool. Hope they get vol 3 up soon.

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Hey, Bruce, thanks a bunch for that link.

7. Thanks guys for those websites. I will print them out and get to it. I have downloaded some jazz to listen to at home and jound a jazz station at work so I will be able to listen as well. Thanks again for the help.

8. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    Bassistjedi, i can tell ya something that might help you a bit. look on this sites tab section for greenday(a cool band) and they have covered a song called knowledge. if thats the jazz you are looking for (its the one im lookin for) then notice the way its played.
    E 0h3
    A 5 0h3 234
    D 457 754 234
    G 7

the simple
    E
    A 5 5
    D 47 74
    G 7
    and if you add your basic knowhow of scales you can make something like this.
    E 5 5
    A 4745 4745
    D 474 754
    G
    and also if you want to take it futher(for me this is just learning myself) try all the above and throw in some harmonics and hammerons and pulloffs.
    later
    Lukas

9. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    hey, if it's arpeggios and scales your looking for, try out

http://www.basstabs.net/basics/

this site has helped me out in the past, so good luck and enjoy!