Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz radio

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Eric Jackson, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Since most radio stations are available on the web nowadays, I thought it might be worth compiling a list of stations that program jazz.

We in the greater Toronto Ontario area are very fortunate to have Jazz FM 91.1. It's a non-profit station that grew out of a university station some 20- odd years ago. It receives no government funding, under the terms of their license they can only sell and program four minutes of commmercials per hour. The balance of their operating capital comes from membership donations, corporate and individual. They were a classical and jazz station until about three (?) years ago, at which time they changed format to all jazz, 24 hours a day.

They play music from all eras and all styles of jazz. They have many "theme" shows:
    -Marian McPartland's 'Piano Jazz' (available on NPR).
    -Joe Sealy's 'Duets'- casual conversation and live performance by pianist Joe and his guests, often heavyweights.
    -Heather Bambrick's 'Vocal Jazz', highlighting jazz singers.
    -Amanda Martinez with 'Cafe Latino', Latin jazz
    -Glen Woodcock's Sunday night 'Big Band Show', 25 + years and still going.
    -Danny Marks' 'Bluz FM' Saturday night blues show.
    -others I can't think of at the moment.

They also program multi- episode documentaries on people like Artie Shaw and Leonard Bernstein; they produce, sponsor and record for broadcast many local concerts: they help produce and support numerous summertime jazz festivals, they even underwrite scholarships to jazz programs at local universities. Some of the on- air personalities are local players and singers as well. Lots of variety, always interesting.

Check it out at www.jazz.fm
    Edit: They're sponsoring the Phil Nimmons ProAm Golf Tournament in October.

2. That's all I listen to when I visit Toronto. Great station!

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

4. Another plug for the BBC.

Jazz on three, as the program on BBC radio three is called on Friday night (our time) from 23-30 to 01-30 has to be the best UK program for what is conemporary and playing in the UK. Many live concerts are recorded and many of visiting artist. Sam Sherry keeps name checking this prog when greats are recorded - usually in London. Well worth a listen or using the 'listen again' feature on the BBC site that makes a program available for up to a week (no longer becuase fo copyright - not meaness).

Sam has sugested that this content can be ripped. I don't know how to do this but someone will know.

I liked a comment in the Guardian (UK national paper) about some of the contemeporary stufff that you can get on this program - 'sounds like Chessington Zoo on fire'. It does have straightahead stuff too.

5. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    www.kntu.fm

The University of North Texas jazz station is probably my local favorite, if you're listening at the right time. Weekdays are jazz all day aside from the news hour from 5:30 to 6:30 pm central time. Weekends are strange, though; on Saturday from 6 am to noon they play Tejano music, and on Sundays in the morning till noon you get random classical programming.

It's different, if nothing else...sometimes change is good.

6. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    There are stream capture programs (which I don't use) or you can record into a tape, MiniDisc, mp3 or hard-drive recorder. Streams generally run at about 32k Bps on my connection, so the quality is less than ideal, but it's all about the music, baybee.

Needless to say, stream capturing is "For personal, family, household or educational use only." Play fair!

Yeah, BBC Jazz On 3 site has great stuff. Check OUT that Hancock-Shorter-Holland-Blade show! The JALC, North Sea Jazz Fest and the Roulette space sites are also tremendous resources for streams. And many folks have shows or material available for download . . . GregOsby.com, MarcusStrickland.com, JeremyPelt.com, . . .

So many folks here have hipped me to online jazz resources that it's only fair to return the favor. Essential jazz is still in the air!

7. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    WKCR, for me the best.

8. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
  9. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Never mind, I found it...

http://www.jalc.org/radio/archive.asp

enjoy :cool:

10. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    I have to agree that KJAZZ is a great channel. I have to travel to Orange County in California every 6 weeks or so. I discovered KJAZZ on the car radio and I was hooked. It is the only station I listen to in my office back in CT.

Jazz radio is pretty bleak in CT. We have two local college stations that have some form of jazz most mornings, WNHU and WPKN. There is a station on Long Station that plays the NPR soft jazz format (UGH). The closest real jazz station is in New Jersey (WBGO).

This week I am in SoCal, so I decided to drive up to Long Beach to check out World of Strings (great shop for basses) and I drove by Cal State Long Beach where KJAZZ broadcasts from.

11. One more for you: http://jazzradio.pl/ to listen click over where it says 'Jak sluhac jazz radio?' on the left hand side where the flashing bar graph is. Programming is very varied - I love the way they've managed to get virtually every artist to do a an annoucement (in English I hasten to add) that they listen to jazz radio when in Poland - as Cassandra Wilson has just annouced whilst I type this. Most radio stations would kill for a set of announcements that this one gets out of artistes. The very occassional annoucement is in Polish by the way but don't let this stop you. I stream it a lot into my hi fi. Its Very good. :hyper:

12. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    And in the newer editions of Winamp , in the shoutcat radio , there's hundreds of Jazz station , including jazz FM

13. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    i often use itunes radio, listening to eric dolphy on DI.fm at the moment

14. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Tigard, OR
  15. Bruce Lindfield

I just noticed your last comment and I have noticed over the last year or so that "Jazz on 3" does tend to favour "Free Jazz" players or those that incoporate a lot of Free blowing in their sets.

But this does seem to be a general trend amongst the bands I have seen in the UK - my regular Jazz teacher does encourage us to incorporate elements of this into our playing - but has been known to lament the fact that "nobody can play changes nowadays"....;)

16. Bruce Lindfield

Whoops I nearly forgot why I posted here - so I was listening to Jazz on 3 last Friday and there was a very interesting concert - part of the BBC Electric Proms - featuring 3 duos who were each pairing a young "rising star" of British Jazz with an experienced "older" player! At the end they all played as a sextet as well!

You can watch and listen online :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/electricproms/jazzon3/

17. I wouldn't disagree Bruce. UK jazz does seem to be segmented into cliques that never mingle (on the bandstand at least) - to my utter amazement. For example there are the more mainstream bassed lot like Alan Barnes, Clyndert, the Traceys, Don Weller etc who if you look at festival programs all appear together. Then there are the more modern lot who you often mention (Jason Yarde - guessing here) but never creep much north of Watford as far as I can tell. I've got more chance of seeing The Bad Plus and have!

It may say more about programmers than players but I'm sure the players would be in eachother's bills if they wanted too.

Barnes of course can play changes - Pete King, Guy Barker et al as can Laubrock in F-Ire - a disappointing group concert that was - would't like to coment whether the rest can though. Quite often it seems to me like that hair advert where the voice-over announces 'here comes the science bit' coz I always think, 'here comes the free bit' - almost obligatory and often pointless. It doesn't have to be this way and the Bob Stenson trio was stunning in effortlessly moving in and out like a flow of energy that moved between them - I'd better end this off topic rant before descend into purple prose, let alone incur the wrath of the mods.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Well I think that Jazz musicians - when playing Jazz, do sometimes pick and choose who they want to play with - based on mutual respect and a common vision.

And I think there is a "London Scene" of "comparatively" young players who will come down to Brighton, as it's easy by train or car - so they are like the next generation after Alan Barnes, Don Weller, Stan Tracey etc.

Many of them teach on the Jazz Summerschool I attend - which is where I get to talk to them and am aware of how they are actually friends who play Jazz , as much as anything and so it may seem like a "clique" from the outside - although I know from talking to them, that they are very open and would play with anybody - although obviously they enjoy playing with thier friends!

So as evidence of this - Bobby Wellins is one of the older generation and it is great to see him teaching at the same Summerschool and then getting up on stage and playing in various impromptu collaborations with the younger generation that I mentioned! :)

So - there may be a "scene" - but I think anybody will play with anybody else who inspires them and who they can communicate with ..musically!! :)

19. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I live in a VERY small market dominated by country, classic rock and pop/hip hop stuff. Fortunately, I have XM.