jazz/rap fusion

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ryan morris, Apr 10, 2001.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    hey, anyone listen to music like this? it is kind of like feel good rap music with some neat bass lines here and there. examples would be:
    digable planets
    arrested development
    jurassic 5
    mos def
    black star
    some more than others, but i think it is def. worth lookin' into.
  2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Don't forget Spearhead! And if you want to check out some of the roots of jazz/hip-hop fusion be sure to look into Gil-Scott Heron. Lauryn Hill's "Miseducation" also has some fine basswork.
  3. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    yeah, i forgot a bunch, but one of the most important would be de la soul. i love this stuff though.
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Check out MC Solaar. He has a double live album that has some very fine bass playing.

Erykah Badu doesn't rap, but her latest album features amazing basslines.
  5. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    The latest MC Solaar CD "Le 5ième As", even though far from Jazz/Rap fusion, is very good.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Nobody's mentioned "Guru" yet and his "Jazzmatazz" albums - which feature some great Jazz musicians as well as MC Solaar guesting on some tracks.
  7. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Ooh yeah !
    I forgot about him.
    Very good stuff.
  8. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Nobody's mentioned The Roots!!!!! www.okayplayer.com

Hub is a SMOKIN' bassist. They put on a helluva live show. The drummer, ?uestlove, is involved with many of the acts already mentioned here.

Can't wait for Mos Def's new album...

Thanks for the tip on MC Solaar... :cool:
  9. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I caught Jurassic5 at the Warped Tour last year, they were amazing!
  10. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    awesome, so you guy do listen to some of this stuff. i am going to be going music shopping today. it's like a weekly thing now. i can't wait to check out some of the suggestions.
    some more similar artist would be:The Pharcyde,OutKast(older stuff), DJ Spooky,
    Dr. Octagon, Blackalicious, Company Flow,
    Common Latyrx, Black Sheep, The Roots,The Coup ,Lootpack, The Dust Brothers, The Automator, DJ Shadow, Q-Tip FreestyleFellowship, A Tribe Called Quest,Afrika Bambaataa, De La Soul, just to name a few.
  11. The closest I've come to listening to "jazz/rap/fusion" is a tune by Brian Hughes from his "Under One Sky" CD. The tune is entitled "Here Comes Trouble". It's really an excellent jazz/fusion piece with an abrupt injection of rap by Rick Lazar. Never thought you could marry these two styles until I heard this tune. Excellent! If you haven't heard it, you should.
  12. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    I got one black eye peas.
  13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Roots come alive is one of the best. Do you want more was in the changer for months, and now it's in the bargain bin at Newbury Comics! I don't get it...it's such a good album.
  14. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    I'd like to put Raphael saadiq in this category.you know the guy from Tony Toni Tone,and Lucy pearl.
    he's also layed tracks down for snoop doggy dogg
    and d'angelo,and a host of others.
  15. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    The only experience I've ever had with jazz/rap fusion is a bad one. Anyone ever heard that Us3 song, Cantaloop? Man, they butchered the hell out of Cantaloupe Island and it pi ssed the hell out of me.
  16. Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    You guys got some good taste. There is a lot of jazzy and funky hip hop out there , it's not always samples. Tribe called quest have some memorable basslines in their tracks as well as many others.Pino Palladino plays on D'Angelo's magnificent 'Voodoo' LP. Hub is wicked on the bass as well. Some of you probably did'nt even know that 2pac played bass. Some of his work has great bass playing on.Check out some of Dr Dre or Snoop dogg's stuff, although the bass lines are sometime repetitive loops they are still quality.
    Other bass players I know of in the hip hop genre is Mos Def and Kool Keith. Do you guys know of any others?
  17. templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    What everyone here is talking about, is not a seperate genre of hip-hop "jazz/hip-hop fusion" IMO. What your talking about is just "True hip-hop", not that buble-gum, west-coast/east coast, puff daddy crap. True hip-hop has always been a mix of good bass-lines (ex. Eric b and Rakeem "Paid in full) a touch of jazz and all of that which makes good music.

The commercialization of hip-hop has tranformed it from its roots, like in any other genre, to something that is far from the original. Nowadays if you play a style with a mix of jazz and hip-hop it's called "alternative hip-hop" it's come full cirlce man... Gang-Starr aka- "Guru", digable planets, the roots, tribe called quest, arrested development, poor righteous teachers, eric b and rakeem (to name just a few) are all the originals.

Like BEP say's "Get Orginal".
  18. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    not to be a dick or anything, but it's rakim, not rakeem. and yeah, there is truth to what you say.
    "i was a fiend before i became a teen, meltin' microphones instead of cones of ice cream. music orientated before hip-hop was originated. feelin' like piece of puzzles, complicated...." eric b. and rakim
  19. templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    Na, your not a dick, good looking out i thought the spelling was funny. Apologies to Mr. Rakim

20. Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Temple u r so right that all hip hop is the same but it is ,the media press that just love to pigeonhole certain types of music. It pisses me off when they call other types of hip hop 'alternative hip hop' or the term 'trip hop' e.g - artists such as Tricky . Massive attack , DJ shadow , Portishead , etc etc. I love artists that mix all styles of music and create something innovative and new. Hip hop lives on!