Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Recomendations Wanted (Part 2).

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Jul 29, 2001.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Can anyone offer any comments (good or bad) on some of the following albums, all of which I am considering as potential future purchases.

Art Blakey: 'Moanin''

John Coltrane: 'My Favourite Things' and 'A Love Supreme'

Horace Silver Quintet: 'Song For My Father'

Herbie Hancock: 'Mwandishi' and 'Crossings'

Billy Cobham: 'Spectrum' and 'Crosswinds'

Keith Jarrett: 'The Koln Concert'

Charlie Haden & Pat Metheny: 'Beyond The Missouri Sky'

The New Chick Corea Trio: 'Past, Present & Futures'

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    A Love Supreme is essential listening(IMO).
    ...MFT is cool, also; why not check out the somewhat recently rematered/re-issued Impressions with Eric Dolphy?

Hancock's Mwandishi...I love it!
    Funky, R&B-ish, Jazzy, & sometimes 'out'; a very cool collection(IMO).

Spectrum & Crosswinds are decent; I have had the former for years...I missed out on Crosswinds the first time around; FINALLY, it got issued on cd & I picked it up. CW is a little more on the R&B side of things; Spectrum is a little more on the Rock side of Fusion.
    I may give the slight edge to Crosswinds.

I have the new Corea Trio album...I have only listened to it twice; I love Corea & Cohen & Ballard are very happenin'. The first tune(I think)is amazing.
    Be sure to check out Ballard on Ben Allison's albums(highly recommended stuff!).

Moanin & Song For My Father are in a Hard Bop vibe...it's been a while since I've played Moanin; the Silver album is nice(the intro to "Song For My Father" is what Steely Dan lifted for "Rikki Don't Lose That Number")...Cape Verdean Blues is another Silver I might recommend.

3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I wouldn't put "Crosswinds" in the R&B category, it would be more on the jazz side of fusion as spectrum is to the rock side of fusion. There's also "Total Eclipse", that and "Crosswinds" are my favorites from Billy Cobham.

4. I have My Favorite Things by Coltrane, and it's pretty good! I like Blue Train and Giant Steps better, but it's all good!

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Phil-
    ...point taken on Crosswinds.
    A Funky Thide Of Sings is definitely R&B, right?

Dave-
    ...on the way to my Country gig this afternoon, I spun The Breckers' Straphangin' in the auto(& what an F'd up day it was here).
    IMO, you would probably dig it.
    And damn, it was released in '81...most of the tunes are in that 'chromatic Funk' vein & the wacky/insane horn lines are truly "Brecker-ized".
    Marcus Miller is on bass on Straphangin'; he's ripping it up & guitarist Barry Finnerty is also funkin' it up.
    I'm definitely spinning this one some more this week! ;)

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would say that :

Art Blakey: 'Moanin''

John Coltrane: 'A Love Supreme'

Horace Silver Quintet: 'Song For My Father'

- are all essential purchases for understanding Jazz and they still inform a lot of small Jazz group playing today. They are also very "listenable".

I would also say that Billy Cobham's Spectrum is an essential purchase for "Fusion" and is one of the most popular of that genre that most people bought at the time - since sampled many times.

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    JimK, don't know about that one, I don't have it, and though I may have heard tunes from it, I can't identify them.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I saw a new(?) Billy Cobham 2-cd compilation set in the store today(about $30). Personally, I'd rather have Spectrum, Crosswinds, & Total Eclipse as singles...

BTW, if you're interested in some 'straightahead-ish' Methney, check out Trio '99-'00 and/or Trio Live...Billy Stewart is worth checking out(& look for his increasingly hard-to-find solo cds).

9. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Arizona
    I sometimes use the Koln Concert just to put myself to sleep. Its really boring to me.

10. Bruce Lindfield

I think that Keith Jarrett's music is an "acquired taste" although there's no doubt he's a great player.

11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    I agree whole heartedly with this unless the compilation contains all three CD's plus some other stuff.

12. Bruce Lindfield

There is a big article on Billy Cobham in the latest edition of UK "Jazzwise" magazine, assessing his contribution and listing his discography etc.

The saddest thing was that in the interview he said that he won't be releasing his albums in shops in future an only selling them via the net. I liked "Focused" (which I think is the last album he released under his own name) and the first track was just the sort of music I would like to play, but most people will not get to hear this unless they are fans already. :(

13. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thanks for the comments everyone! Please, keep them coming, and feel free to make recommendations.

I'd like to ask what people think of a Verve 2-CD edition of Return To Forever's 'Light As A Feather', which has alternate versions and a couple of new tracks, I believe. It's pretty pricey. I haven't heard anything by the acoustic RTF, as up until now I've only known the 'Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy' and 'Romantic Warrior' stuff. Anything with Chick Corea on seems to be pretty sound.

Thanks,
    David

14. Bruce Lindfield

I have this and it is one of my favourite albums - the bass solos are phenomenal, both in terms of technique - they would be hard on electric, let alone DB - but also just in terms of excitement and construction.

I love the overall feel and sound of the album and while the set is pricey I do think it's worth having - this way you get to hear Stanley Clarke play some electric as well and the documentation is very good in terms of explaining the sessions and when SC is playing DB or BG.

The drumming and percussion from Airto is great and it's nice to have some actual "songs" - these have become real "standards" and I have played several in Jazz workshops over the last few years.

I love Brazilian music anyway, and there is a real "flavour" of this, which is so different to the "rock" influences that were to come - it's a much lighter touch - as you would guess! ;)

I would say the this is an "essential" purchase, but shop around for the best price.

15. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thanks for the comments on 'Light As A Feather' Bruce. From the stuff I've heard, Stanley Clarke is an amazing DB player. One of my favourite bass solos (on BG or DB) is the upright solo on RTF's 'The Romantic Warrior', and I also love the arco DB playing in Clarke's 'Life Suite'.

I'm picking up sometime in the next week:

Art Blakey: 'Moanin'

Miles Davis: 'Miles Smiles', 'Miles In The Sky' and 'Agharta'.

Horace Silver Quintet: 'Song For My Father'.

Charles Mingus: 'Complete Columbia Recordings'.

John Coltrane: 'A Love Supreme'. (I saw two versions of this in HMV yesterday. One was issued in 1995 and had a gatefold sleeve with that great shot of Coltrane on. The other was a recent version on Rhino records - less than a third of the price of the other version (it was £4.99), but had a completely different, quite cheap looking cover, and I think that some of the track formats were slightly different, in that some parts of the "suite" were split up into tracks- does anyone have this?).

I recently saw a program on BBC2 called 'Later...Presents: Rhythms Of Islam', which was a highlights program of performances by muslim musicians. There was a section on jazz musicians, with footage of Abdullah Ibrahim (sp?), McCoy Tyner, and someone called Pharoah Sanders. He had a couple of saxophones around his neck, but was playing a flute, then switched to a nose flute(?), and then proceeded to play both flutes simultaneously! I thought it was absolutely fantastic! I've done a bit of research on the internet, so I know that he played with Coltrane in his later avant-garde period and has developed into a great ballad player in recent years. The footage I saw looked as though it was from the mid-70s, so my question for today is: Are there any Pharoah Sanders albums from the '70s that someone can recommend?

Thanks again,
    David :)

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "...someone called Pharoah Sanders".
    You're killin' me, Dave! ;)

Last weekend, I picked up Coltrane's Live In Seattle with Pharoah + the usual rhythm section(Tyner, Garrison, & Jones).
    Live In Japan, a 3-cd set, also has Pharoah...Coltrane + Pharoah together on a variety of horns makes for some very fiery, explosive sounds.
    Be aware this is late period 'Trane.

As far as solo Phraoah discs-
    I have been meaning to buy Karma for awhile; why don't you pick it up & remind me what I'm missing? ;)
    Others? I'm a big fan of guitarist Sonny Sharrock; so, I can recommend Sanders' Tauhid.
    Also, Sharrock's Ask The Ages...with Sanders, Elvin Jones, & Charnett Moffett(on URB).

BTW, Sanders is not the most melodic horn player out there...his music is very much intense & screaming & usually upsetting(though, IMO, not as hard as David S. Ware, for example).

17. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Hey, go easy on a jazz beginner! :D Seriously, I had heard the name Pharoah Sanders, but knew absolutely nothing about him.

I checked out a couple of sound clips at CDnow.com. It sounds alright - I was a bit worried by the ;), you see!

David

18. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I bought 'Karma' today. As a matter of fact, I'm listening to 'The Creator Has A Master Plan' right now. The saxophone playing is err, intense, to say the least, but I am certainly enjoying this.

David

19. Bruce Lindfield

I was reading JazzWise magazine October issue and they mentioned that Bill Laswell played bass with Pharoah Sanders - I imagine that this would be very interesting - any ideas on what albums if any?

PS - I also picked up Billy Cobham's CrossWinds rather then the new anthology on JimK's recommendation - I do like it, but it is very short and goes by too quickly. I think it is the right choice though.