Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz recordings with bass prominent in the mix

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Bardolph, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Lately I've been trying to get myself in good gigging shape by transcribing lines and solos over standard jazz tunes. I'm looking for some recordings of standards where the bass stands out well in the mix, Brian Bromberg's album Wood being a good example of that type of sound. So far, I've found that later Ray Brown and Ron Carter recordings have a good bass sound, now I just need some more.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    On Damon Rondeau's TBDB sampler page, there's a picture of a Paul Chambers album called "Bass On Top" or something to that effect.

While most of her stuff isn't really termed jazz, Jane Monheit does a fantastic version of Honeysuckle Rose with Christian McBride being VERY present in the mix (and the first chorus is basically just bass and vocals.)

Bill Evans Trio - Sunday At The Village Vanguard has a GREAT bass sound. Definitely check that out. Also, the companion CD, Waltz For Debby, is apparently fantastic as well with Scott LaFaro playing more traditionally, although I haven't heard it personally.

Also, most Mingus recordings I've heard have REALLY present bass. Sounds great -- check out Mingus Ah Um, and for a bit of wider scope of Mingus, there's a CD called "The Very Best of Charles Mingus" that was a great introduction to Charlie for me. There are a LOT of great Mingus recordings with him as a leader, but there's also a fantastic CD called Money Jungle with him in a trio with Duke Ellington and Max Roach that's just unbelievable. Definitely check it out.

3. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    Eskimo

I can think of no better bass recording with the bass high in the mix than Paul Chambers - Bass on Top - wonderful playing and recording - Paul is out front and crystal clear

4. Scott LaFaro changed the DB's traditional role, especially in the trio format. I would hardly call it traditional.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

All good stuff - but the original request was for recordings of "standards" - and these are mostly originals!

It's a problem I find as well - so, I have a very large collection of Jazz CDs, but I tend to find they are mostly of original compositions rather than standards and people say to me - you should know "xxxx" standard - but I'm not old enough to have heard the original tune! ;)

Funnily enough the most recent one I played where this happened, was actually on "Village Vanguard" - so somebody said - let's play this - you should know "All of You" by Cole Porter ...?

Errr...Do you mean : "All of Me", "All the Things You are...." etc etc

No - go and listen to Bill Evans on "Live at Village Vanguard" - but it didn't help - after listening to that, I think I had less idea of the tune!! :D

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Check out Alan Pasqua's new disc "My New Old Friend." Darek Oles is very upfront in the mix. Great album.

7. I was revisiting the Miles Davis quintet sides on Prestige over the weekend and I was struck by how well recorded P.C.'s bass is on those. You could scarcely go wrong transcribing some of those bass lines.

8. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I picked up the Tascam Bass Trainer that allows the bass to be enhanced and/or cut on any CD. Also has EQ settings. Can also slow the track down while keeping it at the same pitch, even loop certain things until you get it. Price a little over $100. Tascam CD-BTImk22. www.Tascam.com

Have alot found that sometimes playing a CD through a cheap setup, such as a boom box or cheap speakers makes the bass stand out more clearly.

9. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    what about Jamie Abersol's sets of standards?

10. When I first posted this as a thread by itself, I didn't realize how much it also belonged here. I've heard the whole thing now and it is like having 3 CD's of extremely clear Paul Chambers walking exercises on CD, only it's just so much more also. Generous arco solos, classical technique stuff on a tune called "Yesterdays";- just unbelievable. Philly Joe's brushes, Coltrane...- It is a jackpot! Most of the "standards" are by Benny Golson, Charlie Parker, Paul Chambers, and others but not necessarily in that order. The whole discography is on the Mosaic site. It includes all of Bass On Top and was priced about the same as the import CD of Bass On Top. The album artwork for several Chambers albums are reproduced and there are good photos of Chambers with two basses, the lady's head one and one with a scroll. A great package to fill in what you might be missing of this master player.

11. Bruce Lindfield

I think I'd like to get this - but I just looked on UK Amazon and it is priced at £48.99 - that's close to $90 ! :eek:

Whereas, I can get "Bass on Top" for a lot less ....:meh:

Is all the other stuff really worth that much - considering I can usually get re-released classic Jazz material (like Motor City Scene) at about £6-£7 a CD - so £49 buys quite a few CDs, usually!!??

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    HASKIMEAUX - I would also recommend getting some records of trio or duo recordings, especially trio with no harmony instrument. But as far as getting yourself into "good gigging shape by transcribing lines and solos over standard jazz tunes", I'm not really sure that this is the best way to go about it. I would recommend PLAYING more - open jam sessions, call your own sessiosn etc. Even if it's just getting to gether with a horn player and playing through tunes, it's going to do more for you than trying to see what other folks are doing.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you somehow? What is it you are hoping to achieve by transcribing lines and solos that you feel is going to help you on gigs?

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    "Traditional" and "more traditionally [than on companion CD 'Live at the Village Vanguard']" are two entirely different things.

Bruce -- good point, but show me a good fakebook that doesn't have Waltz for Debby or Goodbye Pork Pie Hat in it.

Eskimo: "Diana Krall: Live In Paris" is a concert CD (and DVD) filled with standards. Great bass playing from John Clayton on this one, including a very cool and swinging arco solo. Also, the DVD is probably the single best produced music DVD I've EVER seen. It looks amazing, and sounds great. Plenty of coverage of the main players in the band, and some pretty cool shots of both Diana and John in the same frame.

Also, the box set of the Oscar Peterson Trio (featuring Bobby Durham on drums) at the Blue Note is a GREAT set of standards with superb bass playing and a great sound from Ray Brown. You can also get these albums separately, but the box set is a steal. Night Train is another OP album with standards and a great bass sound.

"Jazz at Massey Hall" was reissued last year with the 20 bit remastering and you can hear Charles Mingus playing very well. 6 tracks, bop played by the masters of bop. Also, a great version of "A Night in Tunisia" (and from what I gather, often regarded as the definitive version.)

14. Bruce Lindfield

Further to the above, I found this set being offered by "Caiman USA" a US-based online retailer at £28 - which is a bit different to £49 - so I ordered a copy!! :)