Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Riffs

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Hiccup Master, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Hiccup Master

Hiccup Master

Oct 5, 2003
    I'm just looking for some really cool jazz riffs for a 4 string, something that just moves up and down the neck really smoothly, maybe something someone could recognize pretty easy. I'm in to mostly punk, but I like a little of everything so I don't know where to go for tabs for anything other then punk songs.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Jazz bass lines are generally improvised - 90% of the time the bass lines will just be non-repeating and based on the chord changes.

There are riffs though - probably one of the most famous is the bass intro to "So What" by Miles Davis - you could find a transcription of this by searching the net.

3. There are many Tab parts for bass at this site.

Bass Tabs

;) Treena

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Good luck finding a bass riff that people will recognize. Due to the fact that as Bruce stated, it is mostly improvisation.

Just swing and noodle around in some scale through a chord progression and bam, you got jazz.

Everytime I play a Jazzy walking line, my girlfriend thinks I'm playing the Conan O'Brien theme.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I Double Dare you to post that in DB.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Physical Challenge!!!!!! :D

C'mon Hiccup Master just wants some little jazzy riffs to scare his drummer with. "WHA?! Swing?! What is that, you're playing weird?!" I don't use the "swing and noodle" definition of jazz around double bassist. Those guys are scary. They've got funny beards and wear sweaters! :eek:

7. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    tabs won't cut it in jazz, because jazz is feeling, also a transition from punk to jazz might be easier through some fusion records

8. And many are bald from what i've seen.

9. i dont know if this is what your lookin for, but check out the intro to A night in Tunisia by Dizzy Gillespie

10. or just learn (teach yourself) the intro line to Autumn Leaves (the miles davis/cannonball adderly version) Thats a simple bassline in G minor i think its G, Bb, D, E, D all in first position on the fretboard (ie, open position). Its a cool little intro, the song is simple, but you'll have to really learn your chords and such in order to play it really well.