Jazz Riffs

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Hiccup Master, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Hiccup Master

Hiccup Master

Oct 5, 2003
    I'm just looking for some really cool jazz riffs for a 4 string, something that just moves up and down the neck really smoothly, maybe something someone could recognize pretty easy. I'm in to mostly punk, but I like a little of everything so I don't know where to go for tabs for anything other then punk songs.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Jazz bass lines are generally improvised - 90% of the time the bass lines will just be non-repeating and based on the chord changes.

There are riffs though - probably one of the most famous is the bass intro to "So What" by Miles Davis - you could find a transcription of this by searching the net.
  3. There are many Tab parts for bass at this site.

Bass Tabs

;) Treena
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Good luck finding a bass riff that people will recognize. Due to the fact that as Bruce stated, it is mostly improvisation.

Just swing and noodle around in some scale through a chord progression and bam, you got jazz.

Everytime I play a Jazzy walking line, my girlfriend thinks I'm playing the Conan O'Brien theme.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I Double Dare you to post that in DB.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Physical Challenge!!!!!! :D

C'mon Hiccup Master just wants some little jazzy riffs to scare his drummer with. "WHA?! Swing?! What is that, you're playing weird?!" I don't use the "swing and noodle" definition of jazz around double bassist. Those guys are scary. They've got funny beards and wear sweaters! :eek:
  7. soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    tabs won't cut it in jazz, because jazz is feeling, also a transition from punk to jazz might be easier through some fusion records
  8. And many are bald from what i've seen.
  9. i dont know if this is what your lookin for, but check out the intro to A night in Tunisia by Dizzy Gillespie
  10. or just learn (teach yourself) the intro line to Autumn Leaves (the miles davis/cannonball adderly version) Thats a simple bassline in G minor i think its G, Bb, D, E, D all in first position on the fretboard (ie, open position). Its a cool little intro, the song is simple, but you'll have to really learn your chords and such in order to play it really well.