Jazz Rock/ Horn Bands

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Im really digging and wanting to get into these type bands.

You know , stuff like Blood Sweat & Tears and Tower of Power. Any other bands like these that are worth listening too?

Modern or old I dont care.

I had heard that Chicago was like this, but all I ve heard of Chicago was 80s sounding pop music.

Any suggestions? I know JimK will probaly help me out! :D
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Check out The Association with Jerry Scheff on bass.

Also, try to find something by The Fatback Band.

Then you have bands like Stuff, that don't really have horns, but are from the same era. Two reasons to find these guys: Steve Gadd on drums and Richard Tee on Keys. Gordon Edwards was the bassist. While you're at it, try finding a cd called the Chuck Rainey coalition. Good stuff.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Chicago's '70s albums are where it's at!
    (Or all of the albums with Cetera & Kath).

Their debut? I'm still playing & digging it!

"Sing A Mean Tune Kid" from Chicago III is very cool...just burned the live version from the Carnegie Hall LPs onto a disc & then ripped/loaded it into my mp3 player.

Another of my favorite 'horn bands' from back in the day is the Average White Band(more R&B/Soul than "Rock", though). EW&F, too.

Liquid Soul is a recent 'horn band' I like...
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I like The Association, too. More on the Pop side of the house.
    Have you seen their performance on the Monterey Pop DVDs? Pretty decent & humorous...

You know, I have maybe 3 of Stuff's albums; I expected so much outta them...IMHO, if any band really needed a horn player, it was Stuff.
    All their tunes sound like a backing rhythm track for someone like Tom Scott or David Sanborn to blow over.

That Rainey Coalition album has been on my list since about 1975. Is it OOP?
    (is it called Cobblestone? Or was it on Cobblestone Records? I forget).
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and The Brecker Brothers Band.

Another band similar to BS&T & Chicago was Chase.
    See if you can download "Get It On".

How 'bout Edgar Winter's White Trash?
  6. Hmm , I just listened to a few tracks from Chicago Transit Authority . Great stuff. ................but im still confused on how the went from that to .............Your the Inspiration.
  7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    +1 One of the great bands of the early 70's, one of the suckiest of the 80's! :confused:
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You know why-
    It's like Santana going from that performance at Woodstock to playing "Smooth".

Actually, come to think of it, Chicago fell prey to producer David Foster...you mentioned the '80s sounding Pop. Foster also affected AWB & EW&F.
    There's a slicker, more polished(i.e. less raw, less 'jam-oriented, less "alive') on each of those band's later output vs. their early pre-Foster material.
    Thing is, I used to dig Foster back in the '80s...really, though, I don't believe the '80s stuff holds up as well as the '70s stuff.

I just read a review of Chicago III at www.allmusic.com

AMG sez the 3rd album(their 3rd double album in a row) was the last one that contained the extended 'jams'...they went onto shorter, well-crafted Pop. More radio-friendly, I guess.
    ("Chicago IV" was the 4-record Live At Carnegie Hall box...they definitely stretched out during those shows).
  9. Chase.

The trumpeter Bill Chase started this short-lived band in 1970. They recorded several live and studio albums and were well on the way to horn-band stardom after "Get It On" hit the charts.

Hot music indeed! Chase featured four trumpets and four rhythm section members.

In 1974, a plane crash took the life of Bill, as well as several other band members.

Dartanyan Brown was the lead singer and bassist of Chase, very talented cat, still active in music circles in SoCal.

Definitely look up the Chase albums- all are still available through various channels.
  10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Two Words...

Weather Report
  11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    There were a bunch of those bands at one time.

How about Ten Wheel Drive with Genya Ravan?

Or Colosseum with Jon Hiseman and Dick Heckstall-Smith?

And let's not forget those one-hit wonders The Ides of March ("I'm Your Vehicle").
  12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Man, I'd disagree with that, Five had some pretty good jams while not extended like CTA. and Seven was loaded with Jams and some great tunes, post seven was hell. James Guerico produced that earlier stuff didn't he? I think the band died when Kath died, personally.
  13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Do not overlook Kool and the Gang and Pfunk. While very pop-y and slightly disco at times, Kool and the Gang had some great stuff.
  14. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    look for out of print stuff from a group called Los Blues....

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Rainey's disc is just called The Chuck Rainey Coalition. It has Bernard Purdie and Eric Gale as part of a list of participating musicians. It may be OOP, but I found it on CD at a Bargain Bin at a local record store. I've seen more copies floating around.

For some reason, the 60's and 70's had a lot of these rhythm section bands that featured... rhythm sections. Booker T. and the MGs comes to mind. Probably the most sought after (and least seen) of such records was the one put out by the Funk brothers in the 60's. It's mentioned in the SITSOM book and the film. They should reissue it, IMO, although Motown might not want to give up the rights so easily.
  16. zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    Give Paul Butterfield's Better Days a listen
  17. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Chicago and EW&F have been touring together recently. I don't know if they're still on the road together at the moment. A few weeks ago I caught some concert footage on TV, in hi-definition. Outstanding! They play alot of tunes together with both bands on stage at once, all the members. I don't know who the bass player is for Chicago but the guy just smokes. He breathes new life into those old songs.

...then there's always Sly & the Family Stone.
  18. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    If you have an ounce of funk in your buns, you'll want to check out Ozomatli.

19. Cure for Pain is beautimous.