1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz showdown SX Vs the Fenders FSR,HWY1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Onalargerock, Apr 19, 2009.

1. here is a small demo sx vs the fenders enjoy or hate it either way its all good.
    video youtube

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Man, your technique could really use some help. Along with your timing.

The video is cool though. Maybe a longer one, with about 2 minutes per bass to get the full tonal range of each?

3. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Who dropped a deuce in your Cheerios this morning ? :eyebrow:

Onalargerock, try picking a pattern, any pattern you like, that uses the whole range from say an open E to a 7th fret G. Then, play that same pattern and tempo on all three basses with the same amp settings for all.

Good effort, keep workin' at it.

4. At least you threw it out there.:help:

5. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I wasnt trying to be mean, if thats how it came off.

I was just simply trying to help him. Thats all. His technique could use some work. What am I supposed to say? Thats my opinion.

6. GregBass1979

GregBass1979

Feb 26, 2008
    Placentia,Ca
    and it's still no fender? LOL..only the headstock logo my friend

7. im with ya buddy

8. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Thank you. If he didnt want some help, he wouldnt have posted.

I hope he takes what I said positively, and not as if Im picking on him.

If so, shame on me. Im not a bad guy here on TB, members can testify for me.

OP, if I hurt your feelings, Im sorry.

9. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I just started teaching my fifteen year old stepson to play bass. It is very eye opening to see someone who doesn't have the coordinations that have become second nature to me.

From this clip, I can see that onelargerock hasn't bee playing for thirty years, but he didn't start two weeks ago, either.

On topic of comparison between the two basses, I'm not sure the video camera microphone did a good enough job for much of a comparison. Both basses sound about the same to me. Or maybe that's the point - they are definitely not in the same price range.

And don't take the poopy cheerios guy's :)spit:) comments too seriously. I suspect you know right where you're at skills-wise, and you also know how long you've been doing it.

For me, I was downright AWFUL for almost a decade, and I'm still nowhere near as good as I should be for someone who's been playing as long as I have. I don't kid myself - I don't have an ounce of talent, but I have learned to hide that fact by developing a high level of skill.

10. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    This was aimed at me, not the OP. Everyone took my critiques wrong. And as I have said in this thread, and from PM's telling me the same thing, Im sorry I said those things. I was trying to help, not make you feel bad.

11. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Enough said...now what about these three basses?? Was it me or did the SX sound the clearer (more trebly?) of the bunch.....

12. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Thank you purfekt.

I personally thought the SX kept up, it not equalled the two other Fenders. Kind of sad, in a sense.

13. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Thanks for the effort. I'd have to say that the video camera's mic just wasn't up to the task, though. I found it hard to tell much about the tone of any of the basses.

Again, thanks for the post!

14. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion. I won't be trading my Highway One for an SX anytime soon though.

15. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Good idea. You could trade if for 4! ;)

16. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    I quite liked the Highway, but I thought the FSR lacked substance, which I can say for alot of Fender IME

17. Its all good guys like it hate to each there own.
    I been messing with bass only seven months and never played a instrument of any nature plus I'm 51 year old guy,I'm self taught and will never be in a band.
    Play for the fun of it.
    I'm getting better but still very green.
    Ps my HWY1 sounds the best for sure IMO, its really all in the hardware.
    SX is my new practice gig to me why wear out my fenders frets for practice:bassist:
    But I'm impressed with this $89 unit its a blast to play.

18. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

You'd be hard press to wear out the frets on any of those basses as a casual type player/hobbiest.

19. really I hope so,wore my squire affinity Jazz frets out I practice 3.5 hours a day for 7 months the fret wire was smallerin the affinity then fenders and sx is bigger too.

20. Your G string on the last bass is out of tune. Also the others are not very good tuned. I don't want to be mean, but check the tuning on all your basses before playing. It's good for your ear training and it's... in tune. Good basses stay in tune for much longer then cheapos. You may check that on your SX. I also have a HWY1 and it stays in tune much longer now, after over 3 years of having it.