1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz/single coil pups in "djent"?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by El Raro, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Simple question. How viable are jazz or single coil pups in a djent outfit? Are the output levels sufficient to compliment the almost dominating guitars within the style of music or would they simply be drowned out in the mix?

A friend and I are in talks about starting up a small "djent" project but I fear my bass won't be able to dish out the goods. I'm currently wielding a Warwick Corvette Standard 5-string. While the electronics are active, the single coil pups worry me a little as they definitely don't have the crunch a humbucker bass would have. But on the other hand the bass has a nice growl and almost P-bassy punch which makes me think it can hold it own.

We're not going to sit an toss ideas around for another month, though. I just want to know if I can work with what I've got to a decent degree.

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    From experience, unless your bass is particularly mid-heavy, a typical humbucker will take more EQing to be audible. The singles may take some getting used to, but they are definitely more prominent in the mid/high-mid department, which is where you'll likely want to be.

Or you can be like the stereotypical djent/metal/hardcore bassist and just provide low noises.