Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Sized Humbuckers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Petary791, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Is there any way I can get pickups the size of J-bass pickups but sound like humbuckers? I'm looking for a dirty tone (at least for the bridge humbucker) like Les Claypool on Antipop and Oysterhead stuff. Suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    What's your price ceiling?

R

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well I dont' know much about pickups, but maybe $100ish?

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    a J pickup just denotes the shape, a pickup that shape doesn't have to be single coil.
    There are many J humbuckers out there - Dimarzio Model J, Seymour Duncan Stacks / Hot Stacks, Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder etc. I don't really know any Claypool stuff, so I can't say which of those will get the sound you seek

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ah ok. Thanks!

Yeah I just figured out they're called stacked pickups.

6. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    They're technically humbuckers but they still sound like single coil pickups, at least pretty close.

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    depending on how you wire them of course.
    The quarter pounders are 2 wire only IIRC, they always sound the same way.
    The 4 wire pickups like the SD stacks can be wired in parallel or series.

8. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Quarter Pounders are not humbuckers.

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    good catch, thanks. I was thinking about the QP P

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

actually I haven't found stack HB's to sound like single J's at all. In fact it's hard to make a humcanceling single sound like a single that's not - they just don't seem to have the bite. But it's very difficult to make an HB sound like a single. The only exception I've found to date is a set of Duncan Classic stacks - and they put out a quality vintage Fender single J tone, more so than the Antiquity II's in my experience (but that's not what you're looking for anyway). Stacks typically don't sound like side by side HB's either, but variations in between them and singles. In general, it's very hard to change a pup design and have it sound like somethng it's not.

Not familiar with Claypool either but I know he's known for his use of an Ada MB-1, and that I am familiar with. If that preamp was any indication of what he plays, probably the Dimarzio Model J would work. It's not a stacked HB but a split HB. A myriad of choice raw tones and can get as filthy as I could imagine anyone having use for. And you can get a respectable single J out of it. Amazing range of tones. The most versatile single pup I've found to date - so much so it's in a league of it's own.