1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Solo

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by cheesemonkey, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Anyone have any SHEET MUSIC for any sort of class 2 bass solo.

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Class 2?

3. lol no idea... this place i went to today talked about the application/audition process and talked about a solo and i think they said something about class 2? i have no idea what that is i guess something that is between intermediate and advanced... leaning more towards the intermediate side.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Well ..I'm sure they would expect you to improvise this - not play something pre-planned...?

Oh and they will know if you just "parrot" a famous solo! ;)

5. no its suppose to be something pre-planned... you don't need to be able to improvise although its a plus and they have a more advanced class for people who do a lot of improv

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Well my view would be that if it's not improvised then it's not 'Jazz' as such ...? :eyebrow:

7. well a lot of the stuff played is pre-written jazz music jazz isn't necessarily improv

8. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    Sorry Bruce, there are too many Big Band Jazz Charts out there for me to agree with ya on this one! But I do know what ya mean, and I'd never play a written out solo...unless I plagiarized it from someone totally unknown, and passed it off as my own! :p OOOPS!

9. Bruce Lindfield

Well - I've seen many big band charts and many charts with written-out bass lines - but never with solos written out!! :meh:

Jazz Solos are by definition improvised - even if nothing else about the performance is! :p