jazz soloing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by whitenoise, Jan 20, 2003.

1. whitenoise

Jan 11, 2003
    ive been playing jazz stuff at school for a while now and was just wondering what a good approach to jazz soloing is. i was thinking about just taking some tunes im familiar with and transcribing some licks and solos. cos at the moment all my solos just end up being the same pentatonic runs again and again. and is it a wiser idea to transcribe bass stuff or trumpet etc. any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Regarding soloing, I'd say the best approach is to have an idea or two in your head and be able to translate it onto your instrument. This is a far more satisfying method than simply playing patterns, but it requires far more practice (more than I've been putting in of late :() Transcribing solos (in addition to ear training, theory, scale and arpeggio practice and such) is a pretty good way to start. I'd say transcribe anything you like the sound of - bass, trumpet, sax, car horn, etc. Why limit yourself?
  3. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Consider rhythm as a device in improvising. It's easy to get caught up in the notes, and run up and down scales and things for your solos, but it can get really boring and samey. You'd be surprised at the mileage you can get out of rhythm with relatively few notes.

Also, consider using the melody as some sort of a basis for your improvisation.

Look in Mike Dimin's forum - he gave some advice on Jazz improvising relatively recently that you'll find useful.
  4. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Well, IMO to be honest... there's no real TRICK to get a good soloing vocabulary. And unfortunately there are no shortcuts. Stuff you can work on is as you mention transcribing stuff from records (especially horn and piano) and bass solos and lines. Other than that it's just practicing your instrument and working on your ears etc.

In other words, a lifetime in the woodshed ;)