Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz sound vs. G&L L2000 parallel

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigb, May 23, 2001.

1. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I've never had a Jazz-style bass so I don't have a good internal reference for how one should sound (I don't like the Jaco bridge-pickup burp that much, I know that). Lately I've been getting into parallel mode on my L2000 (more even response, cuts through, growls nicely). Can anyone give me their opinion on how the L2000 with pickups in parallel compares to a Jazz-style bass?

I realize this is going to be subjective and hard to describe but let me know your opinion. Thanks

2. I too have been enjoying parallel mode on my L-2000 and L-2500 for the past year or so. I also feel it is a fairly decent Jazz knock off with this setting (both pickups that is). It's still maybe a little beefier but it's pretty close IMO.

I think lots of folks never use parallel mode since it sounds weak compared to series mode. However this is only a relative difference in volume. Even in parallel mode the L-2000 is still louder than most other basses.

While the L-2000 sounds 'like' a lot of other basses, which certainly makes it one of the most versatile basses out there, it doesn't usually sound 'exactly' like them. For more passive Fender tones I tend to grab my SB-2 which has does a tremendous Jazz knock off and a superb P bass. The L-2000 is still the bass I take into any unkown musical situation. Because of it's versatility, I know it can always get an appropriate tone for any style.

3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Thanks Rob. I did avoid the parallel settings for quite a while because series sounds so good. But the imbalance between the powerful lows and the mellow highs (which wasn't a problem solo) was not working for me with the band, even with the bass rolled off to even things up more. Now even with my Climax I'm liking the parallel setting better because of the evenness.

4. I'd like to have in my hands my future custom L-2000 (it's arriving in two weeks, so I was told ...) to share my impressions ;).

5. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Great question, I too think the L2000(and in my case=Asat) sounds a little meaner than the stock J. It definately has more growl. I know this is a lame description, but I kinda think of it as a J bridge with a little bit-o-stingray. No duh, really. Well that is the best I can do but I really dig it too. My Asat is a fretless so it gets some really great tones on it, would love to get another fretted L 2000 now.
    scott

6. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Well after redaing this post, i just spent 2 hours with my Fretless Asat in Parallel mode. Man, it does sound much more even, and being a fretless, it can really nail the Jaco sound to a Tee, and much, much more. I loved the fretless sound of my Pedulla, but would occasionally miss the woody sound that the finished fingerboard would not give up. Well I can get it from the Asat as well as some pretty sweet mwah. I like the parallel mode with the back pup soloes and with both pups too. Man you cxan really get some nice tones from this one bass. I have sold 2 G&L L2000's in the past 10 years, and I guess i never really gave them or myself enough time to figure out what they could do. I think Rob W. nailed the tonal description too. Once again, this was a great question.
    scott